TP-Link Integration: Support for KL430 LED Light Strip

Hopefully in 2021.10

Edit: merged via

I wasn’t able to test with a KL430 as the two I ordered turned out to have defective control modules.

3 Likes

Looks like we made it! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

1 Like

Thanks so much for pushing this one through!!

Does the integration allow for controlling the addressable zones individually?

Nope, the support is rather basic. There is no support for segments nor effects at the moment.

I figured as much since I didn’t see any code that referenced it, but was hoping I just missed it. Thanks for answering.

I just happened to see this comment in passing. We have the effects worked out on the hubitat integration if you want to see how it was done.

Hello,

Here I am on the fence AGAIN about moving to HA. The last time I tried to do this, the TP Link integration was less mature and the KL430’s were not supported. Unfortunately at the time, no support for my 37 KL430’s was a dealbreaker for ST to HA conversion.

I fired up HA again because there are still OTHER integrations that I can’t make work in HE. Long story short, I am CONSIDERING moving to HA again with no formal plans yet in place.

I see the KL430’s are now supported and everything is native now. Beautiful work and a huge improvement from a year ago. Now that I’ve been on HE for a year and I begged a dev to build me the effect functionality into the KL430’s, I’m spoiled and I won’t give up this functionality.

I will help support this endeavor to get effects working in the KL430s in any way I can. Even if that means I have to do the tracing myself or beg Dave to help me with the dev work. I just want to touch base on the status of this feature (to prevent duplicate work). Is there still an open invitation for PRs to get the effects working on the KL430s?

KL430 effects functionality is the only thing stopping me from a full HA conversion (I know that’s silly). Getting to use the full breadth of these strips functionality is important to me.

One thing I immediately noticed was you somehow got the CT perfect. We have struggled with this off and on with the HE integration. I always knew the lights were capable of this via alexa and the native app but we reviewed the CT table a dozen times and couldn’t get it right. This is a very desirable feature for me.

Edit: well it looks like somebody already figured it out:

Is this code merged and I just don’t know how to access it in the device?

Yes, there always has been.

That’s good to see it looks like someone is making progress on it. I think something like this could be huge for smart homes. Especially for those of us who would struggle with certain aspects of the diy solutions.

It didn’t take THAT much effort to do it on HE. There’s only 10 scenes so I’m hopeful we’ll get a working solution for effects soon, one way or another.

I know candy cane would get hung up but it does that even on a good day in TP link. Lightning you’ve got about a 50% shot of it working (again because of the native issues with this effect).

All the others work flawlessly and I call effects to them nearly every day.

I’ve got all 150 TP link devices on HA and I just finished my lighting groupings (prepping for automation). I’m LIVING for how well HA can control not only the KL430s but the entire TP link ecosystem in synch with no popcorning. I’ve never been able to achieve this until now.

I’ll admit, even with the effects working on TP link KL430s for HE, the popcorning of effects was enough to make you not want to over utilize it. For the first time, I think I have a shot of making them all react in unison in HA.

2 Likes

What I really want is to be able to set individual leds or groups of leds to different colors to work as a sort of status indicator, but getting scenes/lighting effects to work is a positive step, especially if it allows for custom scenes.

and yes, I know about wled and all that. I just am not confident in any soldering I would need to do for some personal reasons.

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago, I professed I was again considering the move to HA because the KL430’s are working. Without the KL430 effects, I made the switch and I shut down my Hubitat. All of my core functionality is complete and I’m ready to move onto ‘nice to have functionality’ which brings me to the KL430 effects.

I reviewed the git for this. Unfortunately, knowing what I know NOW about the differences in the TP Link integrations between HE and HA, there’s virtually nothing that I could’ve leveraged to get the effects to work because the architecture is so different. I have learned an obscene amount of information in 4 short weeks but I feel like attempting the KL430 effects on HA will be outside of my ability at this time. Additionally, I was willing to even ask for help from the person who developed this solution on HE but once I realized just how vastly different these integrations are, I decided that wasn’t realistic.

It DOES look like you have the basic components needed and the data dump lines up with what I’d expect to see from this feature/these devices. Unfortunately, I don’t think I will be any more help than being a cheerleader and a tester.

Believe me, I know how idiotic this sounds but this is the last feature gap (40-ish devices) for my HA smart home and I’m still supportive of this endeavor. This functionality is quite valuable to me.

2 Likes

Has there been any luck with even being able to set solid colors? I can turn the strip on or off but it HA does not appear to list the color as a select-able option yet in 2022.2.9.

Support for effects is being worked, you can subscribe to https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/65166 to get notified when it will get merged.

2 Likes

I’ve been watching and I’m so excited I can’t stand it! I’ve been reduced to pressing buttons to trigger effects daily​:joy::rofl:. It’s now the final piece of my HA migration I have left to automate​:relieved:

Looks like it merged about a week ago. Anyone try it and can report how well it works?

1 Like

I bumped it because I knew we were getting close to release time. It’s my understanding that it will go out with the release on the 6th.

2 Likes

The built-in effects are scheduled for the 2022.4 release

Custom effects might not be merged until 2022.5

2 Likes