TP-Link Integration: Support for KL430 LED Light Strip

This integration works great for many of my existing wall switches, light bulbs, and smart plugs. Would be great to see support added in the integration for the KL430 led light strip.

Please feel free to create an issue at https://github.com/python-kasa/python-kasa .

If you are not afraid of doing a network trace while going through the functionalities in the app (simplest to run the app in android emulator), take a look at https://github.com/softScheck/tplink-smartplug#wireshark-dissector which will allow finding out what commands it uses.

HI - I see that the TP-Link KL430 is now supported on the python-kasa repository, is this something I can update on my home-assistant or does it need to be done by someone in the core code?

1 Like

It requires converting the integration to use python-kasa instead of pyhs100. There is a (now stuck) WIP pull request available: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/30719

1 Like

I just invested heavily into KL430’s to replace my 25 Magic Home strips and now I’m trying to jump ship from Samsung (which natively supports KL430’s). I too would like to see this supported. I voted, above.

Any updates on KL430 support?

1 Like

I just found this in the documentation:

This is very clearly stated and these are the newest lights TP link added to their collection. Are we doing something wrong? Is something not activated?

I’ve struggled to understand why I couldn’t get these to work on HA when the device handlers and code are easily available for practically every other platform. It DOES seem like this would’ve been done already.

It should be working now as Avoid divide by zero errors in tplink light integration by superm1 · Pull Request #48235 · home-assistant/core · GitHub got merged. That’s when the documentation was also updated: Add newly supported bulbs for tplink by superm1 · Pull Request #17125 · home-assistant/home-assistant.io · GitHub

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you so much for responding. I have some updates based on the info you provided.

The bulbs DO show in HA; unfortunately, I can’t control any of them. The ‘on’ switch is grayed out. I have removed the integration, re-added it, refreshed it 1000 times, and restarted HA a dozen times. It is definitely isolated to the KL430s (they are consistently unable to be controlled).

I am new here, and while I’m not new to smart home stuff, I am new to HA and this forum. I work in software managing my company’s betas and defects but I know enough about development to be dangerous. I will do whatever it takes on my end to keep moving this forward as long as y’all will put up with me. I even have an extra set of lights I can send somebody if they need them to test.

I have not seen any other threads about the KL430s not working and now we confirmed that the documentation says it should be supported. I am assuming the next step is I need to put in a bug report for this with the template?

I tried to add a KL430 light strip by removing and re-adding the tp-link integration, and restarting HA many times, but HA does not detect it.

1 Like

Oh, you are right, KL430 is not supported as it uses a different protocol than regular bulbs and will require the python-kasa conversion of the integration as I mentioned earlier this thread.

The KL430 mention from the documentation has now been removed, sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

I will try to install the python version of this integration. Thank you for the clarification.

has anyone actually gotten KL430 to work with HA? if so, some guidance would be greatly appreciated! I was able to install kasa-python but I guess I don’t understand how to replace the existing Kasa integration with this one

3 Likes

I did the same. Bought them thinking it would match my other Kasa bulbs but no HA.

Do you know how I could do this? I’ve never tried to install something besides Hacks and addon from the store

1 Like

I gave up and made my move to hubitat instead. I couldn’t get the python conversion to work and the instructions were hit or miss. I tried a couple different things and couldn’t get it to work (I would call my skill level, intermediate).

Because I had an old hubitat laying around I tried it on that. I had a few bugs (that were my own fault) but now 3-4 weeks in, the tp link kasa integration is pretty solid for hubitat and I’m pushing 139 tp link devices of all types.

I haven’t closed the door completely on home assistant but until the KL430s are supported (I have over 30 of these), I cannot migrate my tp link to Home Assistant. I’ve just closed the door for now until the integration works on HA. Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

Sounds good. I may see if I can get it to work with another open source program to us will in conjunction. I don’t wanna let got of my HA because of the custom remotes I built for my android devices.

1 Like

Sorry to bring up an old topic. But, is this still relevant today? I have a bunch of KL430’s and cannot get them into HA via the integration. If conversion is still required, I’m wondering how would one go about converting the integration to use python-kasa? Thanks

1 Like

Yes, this is still relevant today. I cannot recall anymore what were the biggest issues for the conversion, but I think it might slightly easier to make that happen with the current code-base. Most of the API is very similar (but just async), so the approach to migrate to python-kasa would be changing pyHS100 references to kasa and converting pure method calls to use await on them.

There are still some open issues on python-kasa (e.g., related to smartstrip energy meter handling) that should be fixed to achieve feature parity.

Btw, for KL430, there is also another not-yet-supported by python-kasa feature, namely the effects. See https://github.com/python-kasa/python-kasa/issues/191 if you are comfortable programming in python and wish to contribute :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 on this one, really hoping to see support for the KL400/430 LED Light Strip in future versions.