TP-Link Kasa integration only showing some devices any clues?

Hey all,
I’m newish to HA and I’m hoping someone can give me a hand here. (First off, yes after any changes were made HA was restarted, Service multiple times entire Raspberry PI a couple of times)

I currently have 10 TP-Link Kasa devices. They are all showing in the Kasa app, work fine etc.
When I originally set up HA all of my Kasa devices were showing (6 at that time). I added a couple dimmer switches, moved some stuff around and no matter what I did I could only get 6 the original 6 to show up.

Next I tried re-installing the integration. When I did this, only 4 showed up.
Finally I assigned a static IP to each device, went through and added them all to my config.yaml file (copied below) hoping that would get them added, redid the integration again anddd unfortunately nope after re-adding the integration I got 3 devices, however the other 7 still aren’t there.
The Girlfriend approval factor was doing pretty well but a couple of these switches are controlling bedroom lights and I have a feeling that’s about to change…HELP! :slight_smile:

tplink:
  discovery: false
  light:
    - host: 192.168.3.20
    - host: 192.168.3.21
    - host: 192.168.3.22
  switch:
    - host: 192.168.3.15
    - host: 192.168.3.11
    - host: 192.168.3.10
    - host: 192.168.3.13
    - host: 192.168.3.12
    - host: 192.168.3.14
    - host: 192.168.2.6

Are the ones that aren’t showing HS100s by any chance? If so you may have been bitten by the firmware update.

unfortunately no :frowning: thanks for checking though!
They are a mix of hs200, hs210 and some Kl130’s

I’m bummed about that decision by TP-link though, and hoping something related to that is not what’s causing my current issues :S

When I had problems with my HS110s (US) I would always check them using the Kasa app, first. That confirms they’re on line and visible across the network.

If you haven’t already installed it, when you first run the app the first step is “Create an account.” You can then select “Skip” at the bottom of the “Create an account” page. Now you have local control of all your TP-Link devices without connecting them to the TP-Link cloud servers. Of course it only works on your local network, but it’s a great tool for troubleshooting the HA integration. Once that’s working you don’t need Kasa anymore.

Another advantage of not creating an account is it seems like the devices won’t auto-update if you don’t.

I share your concerns about the direction TP-Link is going with regard to third-party integrations. The HA development team is making great progress in overcoming the roadblock TP-Link threw up for our UK users. But I still worry about TP-Link’s long-term plans. My HS110s are working great now, but I won’t be buying any more until I’m sure TP-Link is not actively trying to disable third-party apps.

1 Like

It may be that the configuration.yaml is not correct. I have a number of dimmers installed and unless they’re identified in the configuration as dimmers, they won’t show-up. My configuration.yaml looks like;

tplink:
  discovery: false
  switch:
    - host: 192.168.2.190    #Kasa Switch - Kitchen Counter - East
    - host: 192.168.2.191    #Kasa Switch - Kitchen Counter - South
    - host: 192.168.2.192    #Kasa Switch - Studio Pot Lights
    - host: 192.168.2.210    #Kasa 3-Way - Kitchen Island
    - host: 192.168.2.215    #Kasa 3-Way - Kitchen Pots
    - host: 192.168.2.220    #Kasa Plug - Floor Lamp
    - host: 192.168.2.225    #Kasa Plug - Couch Lamp
    - host: 192.168.2.230    #Kasa Plug - Side Table
    - host: 192.168.2.235    #Kasa Plug - Desk Lamp Breakfast Room
    - host: 192.168.2.240    #Kasa Plug - Dresser
    - host: 192.168.2.245    #Kasa Plug - Reading Lamp
  dimmer:
    - host: 192.168.2.195    #Kasa Dimmer - Dinning Room Light
    - host: 192.168.2.200    #Kasa Dimmer - Breakfast Room Light
    - host: 192.168.2.205    #Kasa Dimmer - Living Room Pots

Regards

Sorry for the delayed replies. Been a busy couple of days. Weirdly a couple more of the devices have just kind of shown up in HA but I’m still missing all of my Lightbulbs.

As of now I’m trying to figure out another problem with my Ubiquity Dream Machine not actually giving these devices static IPs (argghh!). Once I get that fixed I’ll let return to troubleshooting the lights.

Don’t give up. If they show up in HA sometimes, then we know it’s not the same problem the UK smart plugs had with the firmware update. There’s been a lot of talk on this forum about TP-Link devices going “unavailable” in the HA integration, long before the firmware update issue.

My take is that the integration was historically bad at reconnecting to TP-Link devices which briefly lost connection. And these devices do that occasionally. And seemingly randomly. But we know that a good solid WiFi signal is critical, and changing the IP address makes it worse.

So the first step is always to make sure they’ve got a good signal and their IP addresses remain the same. Some folks have reported better luck defining those addresses in HA, but I haven’t seen any difference. There’s been some work on the integration, so make sure you’re using the most recent version. My TP-Link devices have been rock-solid for a few weeks now.

1 Like