TP-Link Kasa KS200M Smart Motion Switch No Motion Sensor Entity

I was able to get the KS200M Kasa TP-Link switch added to HA, however, it appears there are no motion or light sensor entities. I was really hoping to move the native Kasa app functionality for motion/light sensing into HA but it currently doesn’t look like it’s possible to setup these automations. Does anyone know of a way to get these entities to be available, can I manually add them into the configuration somehow to get them to be available and working?

1 Like

Looks like there is a request open to add this support. Though it would be nice if there was still some way to get this working. Maybe I’ll have to see about doing some development to get this support added.

2 Likes

Just installed my first one into the wood shop finish room. When it auto recognized in HA after adding to Kasa I saw two entities and thought “Yes!”, only to see the second entity is the LED.

I mean don’t get me wrong, the led is great in finding the light switch - but then again the motion detector will probably see me before I see the led.

It would be really great to add that as a motion sensor so it can notify me if someone opens the door when I have a project going.

1 Like

I’m actually going to be replacing this switch with a separate smart switch and motion/occupancy sensor. One major problem I have with this switch is that the default state of the switch after a power outage is on, and there is no way that I can see to change this. For the second time now after a power outage in the middle of the night the power is restored and my son’s bedroom light is on full bright until the switch can connect back to the WiFi and someone turns it off. The switch doesn’t properly report in HA as unavailable before power is restored so I can’t even use an HA automation to ensure it is turned off as soon as it’s restored. There is also little/no local only control with the Kasa products so I’m not longer even considering any Kasa branded smart device.

I’m also looking forward to have this switch compatible with HA.

3 Likes

This would be the perfect motion sensor if it were HA compatible! Personally, I’m liking the Kasa line so far, but I can’t buy more motion sensor switches until HA can talk to it.

The issue is on the Kasa firmware or hardware side. There is nothing HA can do about it. The device just does not expose the state of the motion sensor via any API, so there is no way to know if it’s detecting motion or not. The only way we can get it to work is by asking tp-link for the new firmware which exposes the sensor status (if it’s even possible on the hardware level).

2 Likes