TP-Link offers way to add local API back

As far as I can tell, local control hasn’t been fully removed in the new fimware, just local control via UDP port 9999
There’s a newer protocol using HTTP over TCP port 80/tcp and UDP port 20002 (for discovery).

See this issue and PR:

Home Assistant currently uses the pyHS100 library, which was deprecated in favour of python-kasa (see the note here) so, HA would need to be updated to use the new library.
But then, once that PR is merged it should be possible to get local control again even with the new firmware.

4 Likes

Two questions:

First, does TP-Link offer any indication that the new library is supported, or at least tolerated. One message from them suggests they see all 3rd party access as “unauthorized.” To me that word suggests not only unsupported, but actively discouraged. In other words, there would be no guarantee of stability, and there might even be intentional breaking changes in future firmware updates.

Second, if there is to be a new TP-Link integration, is there any way to improve the way it deals with temporarily unavailable devices? In the past the Kasa app, and other third-party apps. have handled this seamlessly, while HA gave up and never communicated with that device again.

I contacted TP-Link to communicate my MAC adresses of my HS110 plugs but they responded to me that the new 4.1 blocking firmware is only applicable for UK plugs
HS110 and HS100 for US/EU/FR are not affected apparentlly
image|690x266

1 Like

TP-Link has now also responded by Tweet that you can DM them on Twitter. I hope this firmware becomes official https://twitter.com/TPLINKUK/status/1331970582901100544

3 Likes

I reached out to them via DM and received the below in response.
They’re just saying to email them for it and that it’ll take 10 working days. Important part bolded below :+1:

Thank you for getting in touch about the Beta firmware update. In the latest Kasa firmware release, we upgraded the local communication authentication method for the two smart sockets HS100(UK)4.1 and HS110(UK)4.1 to prevent local communication security risks. As a result, some third-party smart home software and platforms that use local APIs can no longer communicate with our devices.

Listening to the feedback from customers using third-party smart home software integrations, we have developed Beta firmware that will re-enable the local API communication. It is important to note that Beta firmware runs the risk of local intrusion, so we recommend that customers applying the new firmware maximize WLAN security by using complex Wi-Fi passwords and choose the maximum encryption level available.

To install the Beta firmware for HS100 and HS110 please email Technical Support on the following email address [email protected] and provide the following information.

Subject: Kasa Beta Firmware
Content: TP-Link ID+ model number/hardware version + MAC address

We will send the Beta firmware to your device within ten working days of receiving your email. Please note that by sending this email requesting the Beta firmware you acknowledge and accept the potential risks associated with integration with local APIs. Please refer to the Kasa user agreement and privacy agreement.

You will be alerted via the Kasa app when the Beta firmware is available. You will need to confirm via the app that you wish to continue with the Beta firmware upgrade. Once installed, the Beta firmware will enable you to use third-party local control smart home software and platforms again.

Thank you for your continued support of the Kasa brand.

1 Like

I don’t want to highjack this topic - but has anyone else problems with the HS110 (EU) HW-Version 4 and Home Assistant? I have two HS110 V4 and they both randomly lose power for 1 second at the exact same time and immediately turn on instantly again (annoying as TV loses power while watching).
To figure it out, I added one HS110 to a mobile hotspot and the problem didn’t occur. Anyone else has the same problem and a solution for this?
My HS100 in the same network is not affected by this behaviour.

2 Likes

But you’ll do it anyway :wink: Start a new topic so we can keep this one related to the local API

3 Likes

Will do - started it here because it is my best and only guess right now, that it is somehow related to the local API. In a different network without local API access the error never occurred.

1 Like

I must say I wasn’t even aware that these are approved or available in NZ. Now I know, thanks.

I emailed TP Link using your instructions, and here is the response I got:

Dear Customer,

May I know which region are you in? Have you contacted the local support service based on your region here: Choose Your Location | TP-Link.

For technical support issues, we suggest contacting local support for more efficient service. For RMA issues, please contact your retailer or TP-Link RMA department in your region.

If you still need assistance from TP-Link global service, please share us with more details for your inquiry, such as your region, the exact model number, firmware version, the troubleshooting you have done, etc. We will get back to you as soon as possible.

TP-Link Technical Support

Also, I tried this step posted above, you can’t message TP-Link message board members unless you’re “LV 2”

Go to the forums and send this user a >message with your TP-Link ID, model number, hardware version and MAC address.

1 Like

I get the LV2 message too. Anybody know how to get to LV2?

I was going to buy an other tp plug, but after this news I’ve chosen a broadlink plug.

2 Likes

That strange, I live in France and I have/had any problem with my HS100 and HS110 !
They all equiped by the last firmware…

Specifically firmware version 1.1.0 seems to be the issue. Most of my HS110 energy monitoring switches are running this, one seems to be running 1.5.10 though and is working. All switches are supposedly up-to-date.

If there is ongoing effort to switch the Python library Home Assistant uses for Kasa, and the new library supports the 1.1.0 firmware and newer, is it better to wait for the new HA integration or get the patched firmware pushed from TP-Link, which I suspect will never get updated from that point on?

My TP-Link KP105 (firmware 1.0.5) just stopped working with HA, but still works via the Kasa app.
Is this the same problem, or does the firmware change only impact the HS100 and HS110 plugs?

My HS110 stopped working a few weeks ago (maybe 2?).
One is used for power measurement of a PC and home assistant says it’s unavailable.
It’s HW 2.0 FW 1.5.4
I have 4 of them, but three are for outdoor stuff and not in use at the moment, so I didn’t realize all of them aren’t working.
So i plugged 'em in and voila: not a single one is available in HA.
All of them are working via the Kasa app though.
The other three HS110 are HW 2.0 FW 1.5.6

So i contacted the user tplink in the tplink community.
The response was ‘Since the firmware 1.1.0 was only pushed to HS100/HS110(UK) V4, other hardware versions and other models would not be affected. So this time, only the HS100 V4.1, it needs to be updated to the beta firmware.’

Does anyone know what my problem would be?
I didn’t change anything. My TP-Link plugs just happened to stop working in HA.

I’ve got the same issue with my HS110(UK) V1 FW 1.2.5. Not accessible within HA, but working fine through the Kasa app.

Started happening a couple of weeks ago.

Just arrived my first broadlink plug. It’s working fine now, and it is controlled by homeassistant via local api (no account needed)

It constantly amazes me that so many of these companies don’t seem to know who their customers are.
“This change won’t affect that many users!” - twitter storm - “Well, maybe we should rethink this…”

2 Likes