TP-Link Switches going "Unavailable"

I am seeing this on all TP-link devices, an HS100, HS110 and HS200. They all suffer from the same problem. I also noticed that they actually go unavailable from the Kasa app as well, so this seems to be related to the devices themselves, maybe not a home assistant issue. Very annoying

I have a hs100 used to switch on my lamp. It has a static ip address, yet sometimes twice a day HA can’t communicate with it (unavailable) for a couple of mins then comes back again.

Problem is it sometimes happens When automation are set to trigger

I’m having the same issue with 3 TP-link bulbs. LB110 x2 and LB130 x1. One of them seems to go unavailable hundreds of a times a day while others off and on but enough for me to see it in the mobile site or on my tablet when I check.

Tried resetting, static IPs… nothing seems to make a difference. :confused:

EDIT: I just changed the channel on my router to 11 and all the signals have improved. It’s only been about 15 minutes but no unavailable issues so far. Prior to that it was every few minutes if not more on a the one bulb so I’m hoping this does the trick.

I had the issue after a firmware update to my tp-link bulbs. I am using a single ubiquiti AP for my IoT devices. The AP was on channel 11 and my sonoffs and tp-links were getting a lot of wpa association timeout failure/retires. Eventually the sonoffs would reboot. I changed the channel to 6 and it seemed to level out the devices having issues. My LiFX and ledenet bulbs never had an issue.

Crossing fingers it stays that way :slight_smile:

Just bought a HS110 as I thought these things were reliable but am seeing the same problem. The device keeps going ‘unavailable’. Any solutions yet?

Take a look here

I solved it by adding an extra (old) router to extend/boost my wifi. Haven’t had the problem since I did this.

1 Like

I have two UniFi APs in my house. Never had a single issue with WiFI with anything until I bought this.

Tips I’ve seen elsewhere are to ensure that the devices can only connect to one Access Point, with simple ASCII characters, and on Channel 13, and ensure the SSID is 2.4 GHz only. Since doing that and updating the firmware on the AP to version 4.0.21.9965 the problem seems to have vanished. Current controller version is 5.10.17, but it worked well on a 5.9 version for a few months

1 Like

I had this issue aswell on 8 switches and it was solved after i disabled removed nmap_tracker from configuration.yaml. Just one clue

I solved mine. It was a IP address conflict! DOH

I bought my first TP-Link HS100 today, it was a twinpack with two plugs.

Weird problem; either one of the devices will connect at any given time with full functionality, but not both together.

They show up as separate devices on my router with different IP and MAC addresses when connected independently, but only one can join at a time with the second device joining showing a network error.

I’m using a Telstra Router and they have the same device name on the admin console - I tried isolating the problem with MAC address name reservations, but the same result.

Factory reset done on both, yet the problem persists - any ideas, please?

My setup was working fine until the latest HA update. Now, have tplink setup again using the new configuration, but they are unstable as others are describing. Work at first then randomly go unavailable or do not load at all. Anyone having this issue with the new configuration?

I haven’t been able to get my four TP-Link switches connected since 89.0 update. Trying old method, new tplink: method, integration and combination of all. Docs are weak.

If you need help you have to post what your configuration looks like, log, etc. If you just want to complain the docs are weak… that’s possible as well ofcourse but not likely going to solve your issue.

1 Like

The old -platform method is no longer used. Try this to reconfigure your settings:

Also, as an aside, one of my TP-Link devices frequently goes unavailable since the update as well. Causes problems for me because it’s also used to trigger other automations. When it becomes available again it goes back to previous state which triggers the automation again when I don’t want it too. Tried finding a setting to increase the time before it errors out but didn’t find anything.

Here is my entry in configuration.yaml:

TP-Link

tplink:
discovery: false
light:

• host: 192.168.1.205
    switch:
  • host: 192.168.1.200
  • host: 192.168.1.201
  • host: 192.168.1.202
  • host: 192.168.1.203
  • host: 192.168.1.204
  • host: 192.168.1.206
  • host: 192.168.1.209

My log says the following:

Error setting up entry TP-Link Smart Home for tplink
7:11 PM components/tplink/init.py (ERROR)

Failed to connect to switchmate
7:11 PM /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/switchbot/init.py (ERROR)

Thanks for any help.

Weird how I would constantly get errors saying it can’t read the states. And it’s what’s even more strange is that the switch would turn off on its own after a few minutes . I deleted the TP-Link integrations, hoping that would fix it for the time being.

Any update on this from anyone? I have the same issue and was thinking I would need a new router (currently using a Rogers CODA) or extender, but this also happens to TP-Link devices that are right next to the router.

Also happens right in the Kasa app, so not specific to HA

I also had issues with one of my TP Link HS-105 switches constantly disconnecting (with my history being littered with disconnects just like in OP’s screenshot), but I managed to find a solution that works for me and wanted to share in case it can help someone else. Long story short, it had to do with WiFi interference and moving the switch.

Here’s my anecdotal evidence: one of my switches would constantly go offline. It’s about 6ft away from the router without any wall in between, so you’d think connection shouldn’t be a problem. But, in my case, my Raspberry Pi running HA with a Zigbee USB stick connected was about 1.5ft away. As I found out, Zigbee is also on the 2.4GHz band, just like the WiFi radio of the HS105. So I got myself a 6ft extension cord and moved the HS105 about 4ft away from my Pi. I did this 4 days ago, and so far it has not dropped connection a single time, while before it would drop 100s of times a day. Just to rule out the extension cord somehow affecting things, I moved the switch back next to the Pi while still plugged into the extension cord, and the connection started dropping like crazy again.

So in short, if you’re having issues with the HS105 (or other TP-Link switches) disconnecting, try to think about if there’s some device that could be interfering with the 2.4GHz band nearby and consider doing something to boost your WiFi signal (as @jono did). I think these switches are just really bad at dealing with interference.

1 Like

Had the same issue. Even tho in the Kasa app it showed my HS200 had -45dbm strength, it was dropping out every few minutes. I changed the wifi channel on the AP and it hasn’t dropped out in hours.