TP-Link Switches going "Unavailable"

I am using Vlans on Pfsense. I am on a cruise ship right now but can you tell me where to look for those options? figuring this out has been on my to do list for quite a while.

You’re most definitely doing something wrong.

I currently have 54 kasa switches, and by the time I’m finished I’ll be somewhere around 70 maybe? Maybe 75?

I have all ubiquiti gear here. UDMP, wifi 6 pro APs, and some outdoor mesh APs.

Also, mdns is not needed for kasa switches.

not sure, everything else on my network is stable with the Unifi. kasa plugs used to be stable, now they all become unavailable multiple times a minute. Soon as i switch them to the Asus router, haven’t dropped once. Really would like to figure it out as i don’t like having that other router in use.

1 Like

This is a serious problem. I have 50+ kaza bulbs and switches. They seem to poll every 60 min. All is updated. They seem to work when they want to. Why is kaza polling us this often. What data are they capturing? How can we block this shit?

To add, my system is not stable!

When I say poll, they go offline then back on. If a automation is fired, cannot connect when it pools and its off. Anyone got a fix? Hate to dump this investment…

I’m sure it’s not the most helpful but I’m joining in on the reports of instability. It’s so odd, the Kasa switches have been super reliable up until around August(?) for me. I have 54 Kasa devices, mostly wall switches. I’m running a pretty solid Omada network with 4x access points.

I’ll just get random switches that go unavailable, times where they’re very delayed in turning on/off, and sometimes they just outright lose connection to WiFi. It just doesn’t make sense though because I’ve had this network setup for over a year with all these switches and haven’t had issues until now.

Seeing @sorrygofish’s comment above makes me wonder if I should add more access points but I’m fearful of them competing and my devices constantly switching. Although I guess I could bind each switch to a fixed access point based on their proximity to the AP - I may try that.

Two HS200(US) switches, and they constantly go offline when their WiFi signal strength is extremely (-40 dBm) good.

HS200(US) by TP-Link
Firmware: 1.5.7 Build 191118 Rel.140152
Hardware: 2.0 

HS200(US) by TP-Link
Firmware: 1.5.7 Build 191118 Rel.140152
Hardware: 2.0 

The issue for me is caused by the channel width on the 2.4ghz band, I had set it to 40MHz ages ago. Changing it back to 20MHz has resolved the issue and I no longer get any drop outs on my HS100s.

First, sorry for the (very!) late response. Hopefully you’ve sorted this out by now?

Sounds to me like you’ve found your issue then, and it’s not with the KASA devices.

Unifi is more of a “prosumer” product than something like Asus or Orbi or Google mesh. There are lots of nerd-knobs your can twist, and twisting them incorrectly will cause you headaches. Those other consumer brands don’t even allow you the ability to mess with those types of settings. It’s the Apple vs Android argument - Do you want the ability to do all sorts of things - even those you don’t understand that might hurt you, or do you value stability so much you are willing to allow some company to decide what you can and cannot do? You bought an Android network, so now you need to learn what all the stuff is/does before you shoot yourself in the foot.

“Everything else on my network is stable” is irrelevant. You are having issues with an entire class of devices - a class that is much different than the rest of the stuff on your network…