Tracking Sun vs Power production Database

Good day all,

I have a Frankenstein project I would like to do. I might be on the wrong path here, so please feel free to assist.

I would like to create a database of Sun Azimuth, Sun Elevation and Power Production from my PV. I would like to use this data to predict possible power production, ie. with Azimuth 110 and Elevation 51 production should be 4000W

I believe I can then run automations against it, ie. If Az = 110 and El = 51 then switch on equipment.

My question, is it possible to create and use such a database within HA, if so how would I go about creating it?

Or is there something similar I can use?

Thanks

I do think you are on the wrong path here. Azimuth, Elevation and historical power production are not enough to accuratly predict future production. (Unless you assume perfectly clear weather). Think about it this way. Azimuth and Elevation don’t change all that much day to day. Two sunny days in a row will have pretty similar power production. You can calculate next days azimuth and elevation but that doesn’t tell you if its going to be sunny.

Now you can incorperate weather forecasts into your model but first I would try to setup the forecast solar integration https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/forecast_solar/
It may be enough for your purpose and It does create a bunch of entities that you can use in automations.

Awesome, thanks. Yes I was thinking about overcast days, but that is fairly easy to achieve by looking at a weather forecast or at current conditions and then make a calculation on this.

I want this to work as a “ballpark” indication to say. IF Az = x and El = y then Production should be a, IF not a then look at forecast and either switch on or off equipment.

Let me try your proposed method.