Trådfri Motion Detector + Changing light intensity

So, Ikea Trådfri is pretty dumb when it comes to activating lights. Can I use Home Assistant to change the light intensity? I’d like a night mode, when the lamps are set to low, and day when lamps are set to high. Is this possible, or do I have to buy other hardware?
Set up is through Trådfri bridge.

Ikea offers different bulbs. Some are dimmable, some are not.

If you have a dimmable bulb you could use an automation to achieve that.

Below is my tradfri alarm light automation that turns the bulbs on in its darkest state (brightness: 1) and increases the brightness to its maximum within 15 minutes:

- alias: Turn on wake-up light on workdays
  id: 'towulow'
  trigger:
    platform: time
    at: '06:25:00'
  condition:
    - condition: state
      entity_id: input_boolean.alarm_light
      state: 'on'
    - condition: state
      entity_id: binary_sensor.workday_sensor
      state: 'on'
  action:
    - service: light.turn_on
      entity_id: light.nightstand
      data:
        brightness: 1
    - service: light.turn_on
      entity_id: light.nightstand
      data:
        transition: 900 # 900 seconds = 15 minutes
        brightness: 254

Thanks!

I did it with brightness change, and with a trigger that turns off the lights after 10 seconds.

could that be written as a scene too, using the same light twice?:

- name: wake-up
  entities:
    light.nightstand:
      state: on
      brightness: 1
    light.nightstand:
      state: on
      transition: 900 # 900 seconds = 15 minutes
      brightness: 254

—edit–

no it can’t… too bad, would have been very convenient.

Not related to the original poster, but wanted to say thanks for sharing your automation.
I’ve had Tradfri set up for a while and was annoyed at the fact the lowest it responds to is 10% brightness (still quite bright). I’m hoping that your code (brightness:1) will be a little darker. and if not, I’ve at least learnt about transitions! :slight_smile:

as you have already pointed out this is not possible. scenes only support one service call per entity. you could write a script that you turn on in your scene as a work around. it should also be possible to trigger an automation from a scene but i’ve never tested that.

you’re welcome :slight_smile: even brightness:1 is pretty bright, but it should be something below 10%. i think this equals 4% if i remember it correctly.

You’re right. It looks about half as bright. It’s still a shame that the Tradfri lights don’t dim in from completely off, but for the price we can’t complain really!