Tradfri remote to control a media player?

A simple question - is it possible to control stuff other than lights with a Tradfri remote control? Specifically a media player, in this case a Pi running Volumio.

At the moment I’ve got some Lovelace buttons and media player cards set up in HA to do the job, but it would be nice to have a physical remote to drive things (for the wife and kids, and not to have to rely on a phone/tablet). It’s mainly used as an internet radio, so something simple like play/pause, volume up/down and next/prev (to switch stations from a predefined playlist) would be fine.

I’ve got a Conbee2 so connecting the Tradfri should be fine, but before I go out and try and get one (especially given the current shopping climate) I thought I’d ask the community first if it would work, or if there’s any known blocking points to do it? Are the individual buttons on the remote available for use via HA scripts or automations?

Check out ControllerX, available on Hacs.

1 Like

Thanks, looks interesting. I’ll look into it in more details.

Just reassuring to know there is a route to do this, trying to avoid wasting money by buying stuff that’s too locked down or incompatible. Will invest when I can and have a play…

Got it all up and running, and works very nicely.

Took a little work initially to set things up (ControllerX was no problem via HACS, but getting appdaemon and it’s config running properly to support it took a bit of work).

Anyway have two of them running now controlling a pair of Volumio Pi’s, plus also one of the dimmer switches also paired to the Pi and a Sonoff basic for a lamp. All quite simply configured in ControllerX quite simply.

Job done :smiley:

1 Like