Tradfri Remote ZHA Conbee II

I am really struggling to get the Tradfri remote to pair with zha in HA 0.111.4.

I have done the following steps who knows how many times:

1. Press reset button 4 times (LED flashes red) - while next to the USB stick
  2. Select Add Device in Home Assistant Zigbee (ZHA)
  3. Press and hold reset button for at least 10 seconds while next to the USB stick.

Here is the log that shows up:

[0x0000:zdo] ZDO request ZDOCmd.Mgmt_Permit_Joining_req: [60, <Bool.false: 0>]
[0x0000](ConBee II): started initialization
[0x0000:ZDO](ConBee II): 'async_initialize' stage succeeded
[0x0000](ConBee II): power source: Mains
[0x0000](ConBee II): completed initialization
[0xb76f:1:0x0019] ZCL deserialize: <ZCLHeader frame_control=<FrameControl frame_type=CLUSTER_COMMAND manufacturer_specific=False is_reply=False disable_default_response=False> manufacturer=None tsn=57 command_id=1>
[0xb76f:1:0x0019] ZCL request 0x0001: [0, 4448, 1004, 49, None]
[0xb76f:1:0x0019] OTA query_next_image handler for 'sengled E11-N1EA': field_control=0, manufacture_id=4448, image_type=1004, current_file_version=49, hardware_version=None
[0xb76f:1:0x0019] No OTA image is available
light.osram_lightify_a19_on_off_dim_10_year_9b28a600_level_on_off: polling current state
[0xe9b7:3:0x0006] ZCL deserialize: <ZCLHeader frame_control=<FrameControl frame_type=GLOBAL_COMMAND manufacturer_specific=False is_reply=True disable_default_response=True> manufacturer=None tsn=56 command_id=Command.Read_Attributes_rsp>
[0xe9b7:3:0x0008] ZCL deserialize: <ZCLHeader frame_control=<FrameControl frame_type=GLOBAL_COMMAND manufacturer_specific=False is_reply=True disable_default_response=True> manufacturer=None tsn=58 command_id=Command.Read_Attributes_rsp>
[0xe9b7:3:0x0008]: received attribute: 0 update with value: 254
[0xb867:1:0x0019] ZCL deserialize: <ZCLHeader frame_control=<FrameControl frame_type=CLUSTER_COMMAND manufacturer_specific=False is_reply=False disable_default_response=False> manufacturer=None tsn=122 command_id=1>
[0xb867:1:0x0019] ZCL request 0x0001: [0, 4448, 1004, 49, None]
[0xb867:1:0x0019] OTA query_next_image handler for 'sengled E11-N1EA': field_control=0, manufacture_id=4448, image_type=1004, current_file_version=49, hardware_version=None
[0xb867:1:0x0019] No OTA image is available

I don’t see the device connecting. I do see one of my sengled Lights looking for OTA info, but other than that, nothing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For people looking for this information in the future, I can explain how to fix it. It is truly that the procedure is incorrect.

1. Remove battery to reset the device and wait 10 seconds (simply to clear the device out)
  2. Insert battery
  3. Press reset button 4 times
  4. Click Add device on Home Assistant in Zigbee (ZHA)

Nothing else. Do not do the 10 second hold, do not press other buttons.

It helps for the devices to be close, but I was 15 ft away in a different room and it worked fine.

4 Likes

Hi There,
I am curious to know if you can successfully use all the buttons on this remote? I use an HUSBZB stick (ZHA) and would have been looking at these buttons for a while. I have a few of the plug repeaters and a couple of lights and they did pair ok with my system

Yep, no issues using all the buttons. I have 4 which we use throughout the master bedroom (either side of the bed, at the door and in the bathroom). The 5 buttons are set as follows:
Left toggles on a wifi plug for side fan (tasmoto)
Right toggles on the ceiling fan (Bond)
Center toggles on the ceiling fan light (Bond)
Up toggles bedside lights (lightify zigbee)
Down toggles 2 light bulbs in the master sitting on a pole lamp (lightify zigbee)

The zigbee works great, same with the tasmoto, but the bond is a little funky at times. But this is Bond + Home assistant, not the remote.

Awesome thank you,

I have a couple of Smartthings buttins in the bedroom on each nightstand. I like the Ikea buttons as you have 5 functions as opposed to just 3 with the samsung buttons

There are also hold functions for all the 5 buttons. So technically, you could define 10 different automations for it.

So you’re able to use the Tradfri remote with the Conbee II and ZHA without using the Ikea Tradfri Gateway? I was under the impression you either needed to use the gateway or something like deCONZ or zigbee2mqtt. I have a couple of the Aeon Aeotec remotes that are no longer available and I’m searching for an alternative for when they eventually die. If this works without any additional hardware or those Add-ons I’ll need to pick up a few. How are you programming the buttons? I currently use Node Red to filter on any zwave.scene_activated and the filter on any button presses/holds.

I assume it will work with a Conbee II and ZHA, I have one of those I brought to mess around with and normal Zigbee devices connect with either ZHA or Deconz. I have a HUSBZB-1 USB stick I will be using. As I mentioned I already have some Ikea smart plugs I use as repeaters and a couple of bulbs. You have to factory reset them then they pair no problems.

The good thing about the Conbee II stick is you can actually update the firmware of the Ikea devices. Will try and look up the post I followed

Here is the link I used to upgrade the firmware of my Ikea devices

I also forgot to mention I use Node Red to program my Samsung Smartthings buttons

I am currently just using the standard automation. I recently started using Node Red for some Z-wave stuff and my door bell wouldn’t stop ringing so I had to disable for right now.
I have attempted to upload an image, we will see if it shows up.

That thread for upgrading the firmware only mentions it in relation to having deCONZ installed. Is anyone using the Tradfri remote with just ZHA? I was told that ZHA and deCONZ can’t be ran on the same device, and I don’t want to deal with all of the issues in trying to remove ZHA and switch to deCONZ. I suppose I can use deCONZ on my laptop to just update the firmware, but will it then pair with just ZHA?

I have an old laptop with Linux & HA installed which I use for testing etc. I do exactly what you said and use Deconz to update the firmware, the only thing for you is you’d have to switch your Conbee stick over to a different machine temporarily loosing control over your Zigbee products.

1 Like

I am curious if you got the hold function to work?
I just got one of these and have assigned functions to all 5 buttons but I cannot get the hold function to trigger something different, for instance:
Left button - Family room lights dim to 1 %
Left button hold - Family room lights set to 20%

Hold function and everything works on the automation. I haven’t used NodeRed due to some issues with crashing I had when I was running on a Pi. I have since moved to a VM on my old i7 (really old i7 -1366), so maybe I will fire it back up later.
I have also moved off Conbee to Sonoff-Tasmota ZHA and intend to move to zigbee2mqtt when they finish the tasmota testing.

1 Like

1. Remove battery to reset the device and wait 10 seconds (simply to clear the device out)
2. Insert battery
3. Press reset button 4 times
4. Click Add device on Home Assistant in Zigbee (ZHA)

Nothing else. Do not do the 10 second hold, do not press other buttons.

It helps for the devices to be close, but I was 15 ft away in a different room and it worked fine.

This worked well for me after trying various other methods. I sat the remote right next to the ConBee II