I just found that it is easily possible to update the firmware of my IKEA tradfri bulbs that are connected to a Conbee2 by Dresden Electronics which is plugged into my Hass.io Raspi! The process is actually quite simple.
Unfortunately there is currently no way to update Philips Hue. You still need a Hue bridge to do that.
As @radar commented: deCONZ now seems to provide at least some firmware images for Hue devices too.
Here is how to do it for IKEA gadgets…
- Conbee2 adapter plugged into Raspi running Hass.io. I guess the RaspBee shield would work too.
- Hass.io 0.103.4 and latest deCONZ add-on 5.0 installed and configured.
- VNC connection set up for deCONZ. The setup instructions can be found in the installation instructions of the above add-on.
Steps to update:
- Open the VNC connection to the deCONZ application. You will need a VNC viewer somewhere on your network to do that.
- In the application activate the checkbox in the menu under: Plugins –> STD OTAU Plugin
- This activates an additional tab “STD OTAU Plugin” in the left-side pane (the tabs are found at the BOTTOM of that pane!)
- In that tab make sure that the sub-tab “OTAU Update” is selected.
- There you will find a list of updatable ZigBee items. Just mark one of them and click the “Query” button. It may take some time until you see a reaction! Then the Progress column will start counting up until the update is complete.
- Tipp: If you hover over the number in the Version column you will see a pop-up with the current version and build of that ZigBee item.