Tradfri Transition

Hi All,

Has anyone had any luck with IKEA Tradfri being able to transition?

I know it can be done directly on the Tradfri app, and reading the Pytradfri github page it looks like it can also do it, if you know the right commands, so wondering if this is in HASS yet? Or is planned?

Would be ideal for my morning scene.

1 Like

Transition as from changing color/brightness temps? If so, check out my post here: IKEA Tradfri Color Settings

Your brightness can be determined by 1-255.

Yeah I can set the brightness ok, but I want it to go from off to full brightness over say at 15 minute period like you can do with the Hue bulbs.

You’ll probably have to set it up as a script and then as an automation to change the brightness/color on a timer. Something like setting a condition for 5 minutes x 3 in a script and then executing it via automation at a certain time.

Cheers, that is how i have it running now, but it is quite “jerky” as it brightens, was hoping for something smoother. Ah well, maybe in a future release.

I haven’t quite figured that one out yet. I tried “transition” which is in my automation, but it doesn’t like that. Like mentioned before, it’s in the code somewhere because I have the puck and the transition is so smooth, but haven’t dived into it yet.

Hi
i’m just starting with HASS a few days before and added the IKEA Gateway and one Light.
Now i run in the same problem, for me it looks like the “transition” does’t work. My script only switch the light on…but without any fading.
Is this something that will be fixed in a new release or did someone has a workaround for a newbie?
(running the 0.46.0 on docker)

As of version 0.55 release on 7 okt 2017 this is possible:

note that the transition time is in 1/10th of a second.

4 Likes

That’s so awesome, didn’t notice before! Thanks!

Does the transition for Tradfri work when turning off the bulbs? I can get the transition to work when turning on, but no luck when turning off

You can turn them on with brightness 0.

But then it stays on in the UI with brightness 0

Could you use a delay with the same time as the transition to turn it off once the transition is done?

For me it turns off in the UI after turn on with brightness 0.
EDIT: Sorry, but only if it was on before.

Has anyone added Tradfri bulbs to a Hue hub? Does the bulb behave just like a Hue as far as fading on/off and transitions working? I like the price of the Tradfri but I like how the Hue bulbs behave better.

Just a short question as I am considering buying a Tradfri set for a wake up light setup:

Do I get this right, transition (From OFF to ON) are working? So I could create a wake up light with it using a transition of ~ 15 Minutes? Does it start at 0% / very dark? I have had troubles getting my Yeelight to work appropriately, so I am considering to using the IKEA Tradfri series.

Thanks!

My experience is that Tradfri are not very dim even at the lowest setting… I was going to investigate the Hue White Ambiance, who seem better for that job.

I went ahead and set up a couple of the Tradfri bulbs on my Hue hub. The results were disappointing. Fade from ‘off’ to ‘on’ and vice-versa is not at all smooth like an authentic Hue. It snaps on to a fairly bright state, and snaps off well before appearing dim and with very little ‘fade’.

As @qrioniclabs mentioned, the dimmest setting is annoyingly bright and isn’t at all suitable for a low-light mood lamp. The bulbs are also physically much larger than any of the Hue or Lightify bulbs I own. This prevented me from using them in my sweet hanging lamp that I bought them for.

Ultimately, I think I’ll have to bite the bullet and buy more Hue as I haven’t been able to find anything else that satisfies my desire for lighting perfection. It simply is not the case yet in 2018 that we can mix/match zigbee bulbs with satisfying results as we were led to believe. Perhaps zigbee 3.0 will help…

2 Likes

Hi - Dragging up this old post but wondering if ‘transition’ is still working for Tradfri bulbs. I have a simple YAML code to automate a wake up light but I doesnt seem to work ? If I manually trigger the automation by clicking ‘Execute’ it works fine. If I just leave the automation to run, the light switches on at very low level, but doesnt brighten up ?

Cant work out why it works when manually triggered but not when automated ?

Could ‘Adaptive lighting’ be preventing the transition from working ? I have the brightness component of adaptive lighting switched off but wonder if it is somehow preventing transition from working ?