I have a garden in the UK with some largish wildlife in it (deer, foxes, hedgehogs, etc). I’m looking for suggestions for device that I can use to detect them, ideally so I can eventually add identification, notification, monitoring, etc though Home Assistant. My current requirements are:
No cables - WiFi (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz) with storage and battery, ideally optional USB-C solar panel
Outdoor
Night vision - infrared, no mandatory floodlighting
No required subscriptions / apps
Motion detection is probably necessary to have a wire-free device.
I’ve got a couple of devices already, but neither works with Home Assistant. One is Campark TC02 which is a trail camera. Image quality is great, but can only be access via bluetooth from the proprietary app at short range. The other is a Reolink Argus Eco which is more of a security camera. It’s cheaper and connects via WiFi, but again only via the proprietary app and not with Home Assistant.
I could keep buying trying stuff, but that would be slow and wasteful. No manufacturers seem to give clear specifications either. So I thought I’d ask what makes & models to use (or avoid!) ?
I know this is an old post, but I’ve just stumbled across it as a search for some kind of Home Assistant compatible wildlife / trail camera…
Would love to know what solution you’ve found. Thanks
I use the R7 with the RF 100-400mm for outdoor sports and it’s worked really well. Fast focus, great tracking, and it’s light enough to carry around all day.
I’ve used Insta360 cameras alongside my DSLR for a few soccer matches, and they’re awesome for capturing action from unique angles, especially mounted behind the goal or on a fence. The 360 video cameras footage lets me pick the best angle later, which helps a ton when the play moves fast and unpredictably. They’re lightweight too, so no hassle carrying them with my main gear.
Don’t know if you’re still looking, but I’ve just got one of these for a Pi project using Frigate for animal detection, and it does let you feed a RTSP stream to HA. I haven’t built the project yet though… so see how that goes.
They make a wifi and a PoE version. https://www.aqara-shop.co.uk/product/aqara-camera-hub-g5-pro-wi-fi-32gb
Colour night vision as well - it’s quite impressive.
I’ve built a Tactacam Reveal integration for Home Assistant that works pretty well. It’s unofficial (it uses the same API as Reveal’s website), but it’s been solid for me. If there’s interest I could clean it up and publish it on HACS.
It basically replaces the Reveal app:
Archives every photo and video locally, with a gallery in Home Assistant
Sorts photos into folders by what’s in them (deer, turkey, dog & human…)
Sends phone alerts with the photo, only for what you care about: per-camera rules, ignore squirrels, and one alert per burst instead of 15
Battery, signal and last-sighting entities, so you can build your own automations
To cut false positives, each photo goes through Google’s free SpeciesNet wildlife model on a computer on your network, and only the unclear ones go to a cloud AI as a fallback. For me about 85% get settled locally. Cloud-only works too if you don’t want to run the local part.