Transferring to new instance of home assistant

Hi,
I’ve been forced to build a new home assistant server following the demise off my old one.
How can I easily migrate my ESPHome devices to my new Home Assistant?

If you don’t have a backup of the original YAML files, then you can’t.

They will still work and be discovered if you install the appropriate integrations (MQTT or ESPHome add ons) but you won’t be able to edit them or see them in the ESPHome UI.

You didn’t have a backup?

The devices themselves will be discovered by your new instance. However without the yaml, you won’t be able to change them - well you will, but you’ll have to start from scratch.

Hi Daryl, Nick,
I’ve a backup yes. Presumably these files are in the ESPHome folder and just copy them over?

Thanks

The files are in the homeassistan.tar.gz archive inside the backup archive, in a directory esphome.

I think (and I am sure Nick will correct me if I am wrong), you:

• extract the esphome folder

• stop the ESPhome add-on

• restore the contents of the backed up directory to config/esphome, replacing what’s in there

• start ESPHome

The easiest way to do the copying is with the SAMBA add-on.

Not sure stopping and starting esphome is necessary, but it won’t hurt.

Otoh you could simply do a partial restore, choosing only esphome.

Yeah - I wasn’t sure if that just restored the integration, or included the config as well.

Thanks All!

Thanks for this post, Just saved my butt.

Thought I had copied everything over before a wipe, but I didn’t check, and was missing all my YMAL files.

I’m impressed/surprised it’s as easy as copying the esphome directory when you want to “restore” or rebuild a config. Great job ESPhome team!

Yep, restored with no need to re flash, which was my worry.

Great stuff!