Trigger action when heating temperature goes below X

Hi all,

I’m just installed and setup the Hive integration and I’m playing with automations to, eventually, boost the heating when the temperature drops below X.

For now, while I’m testing, I’m having it notify my phone, but that doesn’t seem to be working.

I set a value of 17.8, because it was 17.9 and I was expecting once it dropped below 17.8 that I would get a notification, but I didn’t.

If I run it manually it triggers as I would expect.

Anybody have any pointers of what I’ve missed?

alias: Boost Heating When Cold
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: device
    device_id: 97524c84f3d600ee1b485ca2a58aa58f
    domain: climate
    entity_id: climate.thermostat_2
    type: current_temperature_changed
    below: 17.8
condition:
  - condition: time
    before: "06:00:00"
    after: "20:00:00"
    weekday:
      - sun
      - mon
      - tue
      - wed
      - thu
      - fri
      - sat
action:
  - service: notify.all_phones
    data:
      message: Heating has dropped below 20C, consider boosting it!
      title: It's too cold!!
mode: single

Triggers require something to happen. If the temperature is already below your target threshold when you save the automation nothing will happen. The value must cross the threshold for the trigger to fire i.e. the temperature must change from above the threshold to below the threshold.

Understanding Automations

Be aware that using the “Run” buttons only tests the Actions section of an automation, the trigger and conditions are skipped completely.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I understood to be the case and is why I set it to one below the current temperature (which it then did drop below).

I set a value of 17.8, because it was 17.9 and I was expecting once it dropped below 17.8 that I would get a notification, but I didn’t.

1. Are you sure the change didn’t occur while the automation was being saved/reloaded?
  2. Was your local time within the block defined by your Time condition?

If you’re sure of both of those, check the debug traces for the automation.

1 Like

Ah, yeah, it looks like it must have dropped while I was editing/saving the automation as it did work in the night when the temperature rose and then dropped.

So just an issue of PICNIC :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help!