Trigger automation using previous trace data

For debugging, I would like to be able to basically re-trigger an automation (latest state) using all data from a previous trace. Lots of my automation config uses templating using trigger data, so it’s difficult to debug/test and this would make it much easier.

Use variables in order to see each point in the template. Not only does it show you the result, it also types the output making the templates themselves easier to work with.

3 Likes

Hi Petro,

I think there is still immense value in this feature compared to just dumping output to be viewable in traces. While I may be able to see some data in the trace, if I implement a fix in the automation and my automation is not triggered easily (e.g. mqtt triggers with lots of data/attributes that affect the automation) then testing the fix is complicated and I need to hack my way into triggering the automation again using the same input.

If this feature existed, then the automation could be re-triggered using the same trigger data as seen from the trace output which would help one validate changes to the automation are “good” changes and fix/improve the automation right away without trying to hack through re-triggering the automation so that input variables (e.g. trigger.from, trigger.to) are set.

I’m seconding this, being able to replay an event that triggered an automation would be super-helpful. I’m trying to debug a calendar automation that occurs twice a day, and I really don’t want to have to keep creating fake events, and inching them through the day on my calendar. I’d rather go and look at a trace and say “Oh, there’s my typo!” correct it, and say “Re-trigger” to re-evaluate what the automation would do with that even.

1 Like