Trigger Siri shortcut from HA

@robbiet480 has a nice rundown on how to launch Siri shortcuts that control HA functions from iOS, voice, actionable notifications and so forth here:

Those work beautifully- nice work Robbie. However, I can’t figure out how to do this in reverse and have a script in HA call a Siri shortcut that is able to do things that HA can’t (without user intervention like an actionable notification). As a simple example, the Shortcuts app is able to start specific Apple TV apps so that I can, say, turn on CNBC with my morning wakeup. Since there’s no way to use home device states in Homekit to trigger shortcuts, I can’t set up a dummy switch from HA. While a series of arrow pushes could be scripted using the Apple TV integration in HA, it’s clunky, and if I move my apps around the the ATV home screen then this breaks. From what I can tell, none of this is changing with iOS 14 and/or tvOS 14.

Has anyone found a workaround for this?

1 Like

I have the same question. My use case is I want a motion sensor in HA to trigger a Siri shortcut on my wall mounted iPad to turn up the screen brightness level.

Is triggering a Siri shortcut from HA possible at all today?

Hello, i’m thinking of putting a tablet on the wall as a home assistant control center. I have an ipad that I hardly use and I would like to know how I can make the screen turn on automatically when someone approaches and also if I can use wallpanel on ios … thank you very much

This would be killer functionality I can see many use cases for. Apple has intentionally crippled personal shortcuts so those based on location, time, ect must be verified before running for security. This basically makes them useless.

My use case is this: I love my “auto arrival” scene, opening the garage door and unlocking the front door, but don’t want it “completely” automatic. A personal iOS shortcut can speak “Welcome Home, please say the password to prepare the house” and wait for your spoken response before sending the call-service request to make all the magic happen. With your iPhone connected to CarPlay this is even more awesome. However, I can’t find any way to trigger that automation without manual confirmation tapping on the screen (which defeats the purpose of an automation.) Yes, I know I can use a “Hey Siri” to do the same, but it’s awesome to have an electronic butler care enough to ask first :slight_smile:

I know the app Pushcuts can somehow send notifications to automatically run shortcuts without user confirmation. Is there any way this functionality could be added to the Home Assistant iOS app?

So many killer functions possible if so …

I second this (or third or fourth). I have a shortcut that can open HomeCam on my Apple TV. Would be nice to trigger that when there’s motion or a doorbell press.

1 Like