Trouble with Chromecast Audio different firmware versions

I’m pretty convinced it has to do with the 1.28 updated cast firmware considering both @kernald and I tried various older HA versions in Docker containers. Please comment on the github thread if you haven’t already. I’d love to get this fixed soon so I can use my cast devices.

Does it work for you when you configure them this way?

It’s working but all the groups what are configured in the Google Home app you can’t see them.
So use some groups from my mediaplayer for automation and they don’t work anymore offcourse

I’m not sure we’re facing the same issue, then. Not speaking of groups, I can’t even see my Google Home at all on Home Assistant anymore.

Damnit my last working Chromecast Audio just randomly updated itself to 1.28.xxx, and now it doesn’t show up in HomeAssistant. This is so frustrating because 1.28.xxx is supposed to be a preview firmware that you sign up for, and I never signed up. So annoying!

I think I have a Chromecast still in its box somewhere. I’ll make some tests with it - configure it in hass, check if it appears (I don’t know if I will be able to set it up without updating though, but I’ll try), and wait for it to disappear.

Looks like we should get a fix in the next release: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/10728

Thanks everyone!

Everyone still having issues seeing as the merge was removed?

I still have the issue indeed.

Yes. With .59 my cast devices are discovered, but I can’t control them. With .59.2 they aren’t discovered.

Yes, still issues with 0.59.2. I configured them manually with:

media_player:
  - platform: cast
    host: 192.168.x.x

When hass boots I sometimes hear the chime, but sometimes not.
Playing media isn’t working at all…

I am having the same issues, rolling back to .58.1…

on rolling back to 0.58.1 my chromecast devices are still not being discovered… :frowning:

For me the issues started under 0.58.1 when the cast firmware was updated to 1.28.100555. I think rolling back to 0.58.1 will therefore not solve the problem due to the new cast firmware.

Seems like were not the only ones:

Just an update, I upgraded my pychromecast to 1.0.3 as suggest by a few users on the GitHub and that has solved issues with my cast devices discovering using a manual configuration.

Confirmed!

Just upgraded pychromecast to 1.0.3 under Home Assistant 0.59.2. Both my manual configured devices (docker environment) are working again.

Chromecast Audio firmware: 1.29.106147
Google Home firmware: 1.29.106111

How did you upgrade pychromecast in the Docker image?

Hacky, but for now ok…

Go into the container:
docker exec -it <home assistant container id> bash

vi /usr/src/app/requirements_all.txt
Search and edit: pychromecast==1.0.3

vi /usr/src/app/homeassistant/components/media_player/cast.py
Search and edit: REQUIREMENTS = [‘pychromecast==1.0.3’]

From the Home Assistant GUI hit restart, Home Assistant will facilitate the package installation :slight_smile:

Hopefully they will update pychromecast in the next release of Home Assistant.

1 Like

My solution ended up being even uglier, as I didn’t have vi or any other editor I could think of installed in the image, so I edited both files from the Docker Overlay fs… but it works! Thanks :slight_smile: