Trying to learn to post and automate - trying to get my head around sending a text with notify/twilio

action:
  - service: notify.text_doug
    data:
      target:
         - '+1204#######'

notify:
  - name: text_doug
    platform: twilio_sms
    account_sid: actual-account-info
    auth_token: actual-token
    from_number: 1431#######

hoping the formating actually gets displayed properly… Above is relevant snipets for my yaml file… and gets verified that formating is correct but I never get the text about the sun. The trigger and conditions are ok and function as I have one automation action for power interuption and one for sending a text warning. Thoughts on this matter are welcome. Thanks in advance.

the main thing i see is in your action the indentation isn’t consistent.

try this:

action:
  - service: notify.text_doug
    data:
      target:
        - '+1204#######'

Thank you - the format in the post is not exactly the same as the format in my yaml file… the post format is incorrect the yaml file has the correct format. The format you suggested is the one that is in the yaml config. Apologies for my deficient posting/editing skills.

I don’t have Twilio_sms, only use html5 myself, have you tried replacing the service line to be notify.twilio_sms instead of notify.text_doug?

Thank you - I have made the edit and triggered the automation and never rec’d a text… you use html5 to send a text? Lemme know if that is an option please. I have been trying to text and zwave on this install of home assistant with no luck. I also have a crippled install of hassbian (missing hassio menu option and cannot configure zwave) that could provide access to shell_command for texting but I would still be disappointed about zwave not working according to documentation that could be followed… there were additions for configuration.yaml but without hassio I have no way of installing addons… besides could not config zwave integrations.

It’s true that without hassio you can’t use add-ons but you should still have a left side panel menu that includes the configuration menu that then includes the z wave configuration section.

do you have “config:” in your configuration.yaml for your hassbian?

And to add to what @JTPublic said above, do you have the twilio_sms component installed correctly?

here is the section on how to use it in a service call:

https://www.home-assistant.io/components/notify.twilio_sms/#usage

Given I think you want to use twilio_sms for your texting, like @finity suggested, make sure twilio is working first, try testing it first

If you are interested in html5 notification, try follow instructions here

… when I enter “/dev/ttyAMA0” in the config process I get an error (Z-Wave validation failed. Is the path to the USB stick correct?
)- writing off any hope of getting zwave working on the pi3 after success on the first gen raspberry pi with no bluetooth very slow but my zwave config was verified working and correct.

“do you have “config:” in your configuration.yaml for your hassbian?”

No, I did not… remarked out ‘hassio:’ and added ‘config:’ then rebooted this had no apparent affect. (in configuration.yaml)

"here is the section on how to use it in a service call:"

that is the section/resource I have followed and additionally googled for insight on adding credentials and I am having problems interpreting the 2 forms/sources of instructions.

Thank you and all the folks giving great support - sorry for making a mess of the thread, hope my posts are formatted correctly.

where are you entering this information and what is the error?

If you are running hassbian you shouldn’t have “hassio:” in configuration.yaml to begin with. If you didn’t put it in there then are you sure you were running a hassbian install?

“where are you entering this information and what is the error?”

->Configuration->Integrations the scroll to the bottom of the alphabetic list you will find zwave… when I ‘CONFIGURE’ there is an option required for the definition of the dev (mine is /dev/ttyAMA0)… the error as indicated is (Z-Wave validation failed. Is the path to the USB stick correct?)

"If you are running hassbian you shouldn’t have “hassio:” in configuration.yaml to begin with. If you didn’t put it in there then are you sure you were running a hassbian install?

I did misunderstand some document/forum post and did indeed enter “hassio:” but edited it out and tried “config:” as instructed with no affect. The hostname on the install in question was hassbian and login and pw were pi and raspberry.