Trying to mount remote share on hassio

I’m trying to mount a remote share (where my CCTV is stored) and I keep getting a Permission Denied error, depite being root.

core-ssh:~# mount //192.168.1.1/USB_HDD_1/ /mnt/cctv/
mount: permission denied (are you root?)

I want to be able to access those images to attach them to notifications when the CCTV is triggered, but putting the share directly into config also gives an error:

2018-04-08 03:03:48 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Invalid config for [homeassistant]: not a directory @ data['whitelist_external_dirs'][0]. Got '//192.168.1.1/USB_HDD_1/Video/CCTV/'. (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 2).

What’s the correct way to mount a remote directory so Home Assistant can see it when using Hass.io?

So let’s start with the fact that you are in an SSH docker container, that is NOT the hassio container, and not the host OS.

What protocol are you trying to mount? Linux supports several protocols, so just saying // doesn’t tell the system what protocol you are trying to use. NFS? SMB? SSHFS? Does the SSH container even support any of those protocols? Is the appropriate FUSE system installed and available for such a thing?

Where should I be?

I’m trying to connect using cifs, the command I pasted was just one of a few I tried, but I should have used the right version for what I was trying to do.

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.1/USB_HDD_1/ /mnt/cctv/

I don’t know. What I do know is that you can’t SSH into the actual container that is running hassio.

Does the hassio SSH container even support that?

I doubt this is even possible on hassio. Perhaps you should be on hassbian or something instead

How did you manage to do this? I still get the same error like you did before…

I never did. I was trying on a Raspberry Pi and that died so I moved to running HA via Docker on a NUC since then.

I run the mount command from a shell_command out from a automation at startup.
And I edit the shell_command via “File editor” add-on and reboot home assistant on each change.