type: set_hvac_mode
    hvac_mode: cool
  - service: climate.set_temperature
    data:
      temperature: 68
    target:
      device_id: 36e04ece7c7a80d4e2753da280c62ecf
mode: single

This is the automation I’ve made but when a state change occurs in the numeric value (up or down) the automation does not fire. What am I doing wrong?

Looks like your trigger will fire when the temperature goes up from 71 to 72 or down from 79 to 78. Is that what you want?

Ahhh okay no its not really I was playing around with it as it seemed not to be working. Ideally I’d want it to be where if the temp goes above 78 it’s cuts on. So to properly test it I’d need to set the above value to 78 and let the temp go over it?

I was confused on this part as I thought that if when the state changed, if it was above the desired number regardless if coming down from like 79 to 78.7 it would then trigger it as a state change occurs and the value is above the number.

So in actually if I want it that way it needs to go from like 77 to 78 to cross the threshold?

Sorry still kinda new to some of the logic used here, and I appreciate y’all’s help

Which attribute should I be selecting here? Nothing specific for current temperature. I just left it blank as I was unsure

Had to upload the second pic as a separate post

None of them, if you’re only concerned with temperature.