TSL2561 + Rasberry and HA: is it possible?

Hi guys! I bought a TSL2561 luminosity sensor and I have to link it directly to my raspberry, where HA is running. Unfortunately, I can find only tutorials on how to use this sensor with an external ESP8266 and ESPEasy. Does someone of you know if there is a guide/tutorial on how to use TSL2561 with raspberry + HA directly? thanks

Not sure why you have to connect it to the pi directly, but it is an i2c device and you should probably search for that here on the forum, ie

raspberry pi i2c

in the search bar. You may be disappointed though.

The best way would be esphome, it has support built in https://esphome.io/components/sensor/tsl2561.html

Oh and please don’t tell me google didn’t find you this https://www.instructables.com/id/Lux-Sensor-TSL2561-Raspberry-Pi/

Thank you for your answer and links you gave me.
Unfortunately, those resources are not enough for my case, since I want to integrate the TSL2561 sensor with HA running on a Raspberry pi 3 with Hassio.
That SO is unexpectedly “close” since doesn’t let me use python directly (if I ssh into hassio, “which python” command returns an empty value and using python_scripts ends with “import error for smbus library”).
I have the sensor already connected with the raspberry, but I don’t know how to check if it’s working and how to add it as a sensor in HA.

If you want to use hassos, you will be restricted in some ways.

You haven’t told us why it has to be connected to the pi. esphome is designed to work with home assistant (including hassio via hassos).

Hi! Finally, I’ve got it! I’ve now a TSL2561 connected directly to my pi and getting me lux values, as I wanted, with HA in Hass.io environment.
My pi is in a location where I can’t (and don’t want) to add another ESP8266 device with another power supply. For what I’ve understood, with esphome you have to flash a new device (an ESP8266) with a custom firmware and read sensor values via WIFI, isn’t it?
Also, since the raspberry has GPIO, why should I have to buy another device only for a luminosity sensor? Just because it’s easyer?
Btw, I’ve made it by writing my customized TSL2561 hass.io add-on (a docker container with privileged access to i2c interface) and exposing lux readings through a web-server.
I’m still improving my solution but then I’ll post it here.
Thanks