TTS not working anymore with HomePod OS 18?

Hi,

since HomePod OS 18 (released yesterday) my TTS is not working anymore. Doesn’t output any error but HomePod mini is silent.

Does anyone else have this problem?

This is the script I’m using:

homepod_post_ist_da:
  alias: HomePod - Post ist da
  sequence:
  - service: media_player.media_pause
    metadata: {}
    data: {}
    target:
      device_id: e3f025cf4e757572b74afa9eb084a34f
  - service: media_player.volume_set
    data:
      volume_level: 0.7
    target:
  - service: tts.google_translate_say
    data:
      cache: false
      entity_id: media_player.homepod_mini_wohnzimmer
      language: de
  - delay:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 5
      milliseconds: 0
  - service: media_player.volume_set
    data:
      volume_level: 0.5
    target:
  mode: single

Regards

I don’t use Google translate at home (I do in my RV but it’s stored), however my HomePods using the Home Assistant cloud TTS do not work under the Apple TV integration but they work fine with my primary TTS system, which is Airfoil that uses Airplay to each speaker. The problem appears to be the Apple TV integration as I can see my HomePods now show as “off” and won’t turn on.

For me, I turn off auto updating on HomePods (I have quite a few) until I test it, then I’ll download them all manually. There have been a couple updates that have thrown me into a tailspin. Fortunately I only updated one speaker today, but since I do this through Airfoil anyway I probably could but will wait for the Apple TV update to come, which I bet will soon.

Reloading the speaker under Apple TV doesn’t fix it either.

The fix is to remove the HomePod entirely and re-add it. Apparently it needs to re-sync.

1 Like

Well, thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it didn’t work in my case. But at least I get an 403 forbidden error now.

EDIT: Oh wait, 5 minutes later it is suddenly working. Probably took some time. Hope it continues to work.

EDIT2: Now it stopped working. Maybe the HomePods go to sleep and need to be woken up first somehow?

If I manually turn them on here:

… and wait a few minutes it’s working again.

10 minutes later I get the 403 forbidden again. This is definitely not working like it was before HomePod OS 18.

I’ve opened a ticket with the developer, you should report your findings:

1 Like

Same issue too!
Reset an readd does not work…

Report the details, the more people report it then the more likely something will come of it.

Same problem for me

Update: re-adding into the HA worked. You don’t need to reset your homepod and re-add it to the Homekit. Just remove it from the HA and re-add again. Worked for me.

1 Like

Thanks for your great help!

I can confirm removing HomePod from the HA and re-adding again also worked for me.

same problem here