TTS on Alexa?

:tada::tada:

I knew we’d get there eventually. :grinning:

1 Like

Can you confirm the link to the .py file. The previous link isnt working.

Much appreciated!

Which .py file are you referring to?

Im assuming the alexa.py file you refer to in your tutorial. Unless im missing another necessary file.

the installation instrcutions and requirements have changed since the newest version of HA (v88).

here is the link to the instructions on github:

Anybody know if this will be incorporated into the base install of Hassio instead of running a custom component?

Is this still the best way to do this? Does the Nabu Casa cloud integration to Alexa change this at all? Or is that strictly one-way control of HA from Alexa?

any updates on @Juliean_Galak questions, as i too am interested.

The Alexa_media component is still the best way to do it. Nabu Casa does not offer TTS, just smarthome control.

I’ve not found any other way, but this method worked just fine.

I get all the services except (media_player.alexa_tts)

the component doesn’t use the media_player.alexa_tts service any longer. It uses the notify.alexa_media service now.

All of that is in the github documentation at the following link:

Cannot get it to work, I have the integration setup and see my alexa dots as media players (though all greyed out and always in off state)

My automation script:

- alias: Kitchen Alexa alert when there is movement
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.motion_sensor_motion
    to: 'on'
  action:
     - service: notify.alexa_media_kitchen_echo_dot
       data:
          entity_id: 
          - media_player.echo_dot_kitchen

Any idea what is wrong?

Did you read the docs at the link I sent you? If you did then you should have seen that the way you need to configure the new notify service is different than what you have above.

granted, you would have needed to click through on one more link from that page to get the complete config examples. So here is the page that tells you how to do it:

https://github.com/keatontaylor/alexa_media_player/wiki/Notification-Component

1 Like

I have checked the link but still nothing is going over or being logged even, also all my echo devices appear greyed out (off) under the media player section - but when I do announce from the Alexa app they all announce just fine

How can I test this correctly via Dev Tools, the following does not work:

Do you see anything about alexa_media in the homeassistant.log file?

If not, then try to enable debug logging for that component and try it again.

How would I go about doing that? Apologies I’m very new to the whole yaml language/more advanced HA setup
I have also created these scripts (with my own echo device names) but no luck, they execute but nothing happens

https://www.home-assistant.io/components/logger/

But specifically you can add this to the configuration.yaml

logger:
  logs:
    custom_components.alexa_media: debug

I’m pretty sure that’s the syntax but make sure you do a config check before restarting just in case…

Ok so the config.yaml looks like this:

However all the echo devices are greyed out:

What to look for in the logs?

Have you restarted since you changed the logger code?

If so then go to the config directory and open the file called homeassistant.log.

look for anything in the that has “debug” in it and related to alexa_media.