TTS on Alexa?

The thread “Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed” has almost 1,400 posts, and the thread “Alexa Announce Feature - Text to Speach via Alexa now a possability?” has more than 300 posts- many of which point to the former topic.

Can someone please summarize how to use TTS on Alexa without having to read through more than a thousand posts on the topic(s)?

Home Assistant Call Service Node (Node-Red), help please

This is all based my experience with the former and being in the US. I have no experience (yet…) with the latter.

basically…

you need to copy the alexa.py file from the github repo and place it in your custom_components/media_player directory.

Then in your config you place the following:

media_player:
  - platform: alexa
    email: !secret amazon_email
    password: !secret amazon_pass
    url: amazon.com

when you restart you should be greeted with a new pop up for the configuration for the component which, at this point, should just be that you need enter in a “Captcha” verification. Which should then create a persistent key in you configuration directory (alexa_media.pickle) and some other config files in the same directory where you placed the alexa.py file.

Once you complete that successfully (and maybe a restart of HA) then you should see all of your Echo devices pop up as media_players in your states list which you can use to play different media sources controlled by HA. And there will also be a new service exposed (media_player.alexa_tts) that you can use to send TTS messages to your desired Echo media_player devices.

For example:

- service: media_player.alexa_tts
      data:
        entity_id: 
          - media_player.computer_room_dot
          - media_player.kitchen_dot
          - media_player.livingroom_dot

Thanks. You just saved me days of reading and !comprehending lots of off-topic posts.

I know. It was a few hundred less when I started in and it still took forever.

But if it doesn’t work then unfortunately you’ll be back to diving in there to try to find the fix.

I had some troubles but I and another dev on the component had a little side exchange and he was able to work out the problem in their code that was causing the failures.

Hopefully it should just work now.

Wow, worked the first time.
You reduced the thousand plus posts on the topic into a single post.

This will solve a problem we’ve had around here- My wife uses Alexa Drop-in to give us a head’s up to come to dinner. However, the kitchen is a pretty noisy environment and it’s sometimes difficult for her to be understood, or for her to tell Alexa to ‘hang up’ to terminate the drop-in. Now, I can just give her a dash-like button to send the dinner notification to all alexa units. She is gonna’ love this.

In my research, I stumbled across some who were sending commands to Alexa, or commands to Home Assistant through Alexa. Have you done either of these?

:smiley: I’m glad I could help!

not sure what you mean by this.

This is what you are doing using the media player component above.

The way I do this now is thru the HA cloud service. I’ve done it in the past using the HAASKA skill or the Emulated Hue component.

I also would like to thank you for summarising this for the same reason mentioned by stevemann, I now have this working perfectly, was previously using my Sonos system for audio announcements which for some reason my dogs did not like at all :unamused: now switched all anouncements to my echo dots and the dogs don’t bat an eye :smile: