TTS on Bluetooth speaker via Raspberry Pi

New error
homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError: Config file not found: /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/custom_components/device_tracker/services.yaml

Oops… forgot to add the file. Can you grab this file from the GitHub repo?

ha-tts-bluetooth-speaker/custom_components/device_tracker/services.yaml
2017-07-12 00:38:41 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Invalid config for [automation]: expected dict for dictionary value @ data['action'][0]['data']. Got None
extra keys not allowed @ data['action'][0]['message']. Got None. (See /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/configuration.yaml, line 157). Please check the docs at https://home-assistant.io/components/automation/

Note:
I have placed the automation in the automation.yaml file

content
#################################################################
## Lighting Automations
#################################################################

##########################################################
        ## Turn on lights at sunset
- id: sunset_lights_on
  alias: Sunset Light On
  trigger:
  - platform: sun
    event: 'sunset'
  action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    entity_id:
    - light.gazebo

## Turn off lights at sunrise
- id: sunset_lights_off
  alias: Sunrise Light Off
  trigger:
  - platform: sun
    event: 'sunrise'
  action:
  - service: light.turn_off
    entity_id:
    - light.gazebo

#   
##  - service: tts.google_say
#    data:
#    entity_id: media_player.bluetooth_speaker
#    message: 'Night mode deactivated'
#

- id: home_assistant_startup 
  alias: Home Assistant Start
  trigger:
  - platform: homeassistant
    event: 'start'
  action:
  - service: tts.google_say
    data:
    entity_id: media_player.tts_bluetooth_speaker

@hackertc Last two lines in your automation need to be indented. Try copying mine as is:

automation: 
  - alias: Home Assistant Start
    trigger:
      platform: homeassistant
      event: start
    action:
      - service: tts.google_say
        data:
          entity_id: media_player.tts_bluetooth_speaker

Thank you!
I was checking the yaml config with http://www.freecodeformat.com/yaml-validator.php and it got me green light.

Now I managed to finally hear “Home assistant is starting” but, only after connecting manually with bluetoothctl and connect B8:69:C2:BE:6C:CC and after restarting home assistant using the HA interface.

I probably have to dig deeper in the startup bluetooth config to make it auto connect after pi restarts

1 Like

@hackertc Great to hear you got it working. Do you also have Bluetooth tracker enabled for presence detection?

1 Like

yes, togetter with owntracks (i hope i did the config ok)

device_tracker:
  - platform: owntracks
  - platform: bluetooth_tracker
    max_gps_accuracy: 200
    waypoints: True
    waypoint_whitelist:
      - alextc

@hackertc Not sure about owntracks, but your config should probably look like this:

device_tracker:
  - platform: bluetooth_tracker

- platform: owntracks
    max_gps_accuracy: 200
    waypoints: True
    waypoint_whitelist:
      - alextc

I think those options are for owntracks, so I have moved them there.

1 Like

@hackertc Hmmm… I wonder whether it would make sense to force the Bluetooth speaker component to always call bluetoothctl and connect [BLUETOOTH_ADDRESS] before it plays the TTS file using mplayer.

That way, we could simply rely on the Bluetooth speaker component to ensure the connection is made to the Bluetooth speake, and not have to worry about creating our own startup scripts to make the connection.

Probably not a very elegant way, but if it works, then hey…

1 Like

Managed to get it to work!
Thank you @pkozul! for the help.
My problem was because of the lack of execute permissions on /.homeassistant/scripts/pair_bluetooth.sh file
solved by sudo chmod a+x /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/scripts/pair_bluetooth.sh

2 Likes

Got it working buy doing the sudo adduser homeassistant pulse-access
thanks guys

@Charles_Brown Great to hear. Thanks for letting us know. Are you using the latest version (i.e. files from GitHub)?

Im using the ones prior to the device tracker added stuff Not using device tracker with bluetooth AlthoughI did not auto connect after a reboot I will need to look into that now.

So you guys don’t know if it works with BLE dongles, since bluetooh presence detection I have currently done via Node-red and not HASS. Haven’t yet tried to do it here.

Hi,

Thank you very much for the tutorial. I finally made the tts work, but I found that the first around two seconds of the sound are missing.
For example in “Home assistant has started”, I can only hear “ant has started”
It seems that there is a delay time from the time that the sound is playing and the time since actually the media player is on and playing.
Anyone had this problem?

Thank you!
Santi

@santirguez Hi there. Does this issue also occur when you call the TTS service using the Developer Tools > Services in the HA frontend? Or does it just occur when HA starts up?

Just want to figure out whether it’s being caused by HA starting up, or whether it always occurs in all scenarios.

@pkozul
Awesome, this looks great. I’m curious though, why did you choose to use mplayer + pulseaudio instead of VLC directly with ALSA?

Any plans to submit this up to HA for inclusion in a future release?

So in theory this should actually work for connecting to an echo and doing TTS on it right? Anyone given that a shot yet? Does staying connected break alexa hotwords?

Thanks!

Hi @superm1. Originally I couldn’t get it work with vlc but that was in the early stages when I was doing lots of trial and error.

I will revisit this and see if vlc works now.

If this version works ‘properly’ for enough people, I will submit this for inclusion in HA.

Sorry, no idea about connecting to an Echo. I’m sure sooner or later someone will try and it tell us about it.

@superm1 BTW, I don’t think this will work with ALSA because Bluez no longer supports ALSA, so PulseAudio is the only option.

Hi @pkozul
It happens every time I call the service, but only if the call is separated in time from each other. I mean, If I call TTS twice in a row, the second time works ok, but the first one is cut at the beginning.
For now I solved it adding a 2 seconds silence file playing before the TTS mp3 file is played.