Tube's ZB Coordinators and Routers (was Zigbee router on steroids?)

I just ordered a bunch of zigbee stuff and this thread is scaring me :smiley:

@bdb1 on the next episode of MRobiā€™s Zigbee Gamesā€¦ LOL

My extension chord idea seems to be (mostly) working. Itā€™s been 2 days and all 3 ikea repeaters are still connected to the tube router and each still have 3 blinds connected to them. For the first time in wellā€¦ EVER, Iā€™ve had 2 days of full reliability with my zigbee network.

The buttons must be modelled after teenagers though because they clearly hated their parents and have jumped to other parents. LOL But theyā€™re still registering commands so Iā€™m not concerned. Even if the buttons were to drop off completely, the blinds are all automated based on sun position, weather and temp so we pretty much never use them anyways.

1 Like

Hey thatā€™s good news right. Now if you can fix a few of my lights dropping off inexplicably every few days (not always the same ones) that would be awesome.

I would like to point out that NONE of this is in anyway related to Tubeā€™s products. Just seems to be Zigbee.

just got a USB coordinator set up for z2m as a replacement for a cc2531 coordinator. Just needed the USB vs ethernet to have a drop in replacement for my old coordinator, using with raspberry pi, re-pairing all devices was easy and network is working great so far.

question @tube0013 is there any hardware difference between the USB coordinator, and the USB router? look nearly identical in the pictures, Iā€™m just bummed thereā€™s no serial header included in the pricier coordinator for future firmware flashing, I know I could solder my own but am lazyā€¦

The co-ordinator includes a usb cable, but other than that I am struggling to see a difference. However it may be necessary to read the thread and the github and 101 pieces of documentation to be sure :slight_smile:

The coordinator is physically smaller than the router (itā€™s sort of the second generation of the round design) hardware wise, it has a ch340E serial to usb ttl module and some additional caps to support that. I also add the leds and 1k resisters for them as I see led support coming to the coordinator fw sooner.

ahh thanks for the clarification @tube0013 makes sense. I now see the extra caps and differences in the store photos. And reviewing the router schematic, easy to see the usb for the router is 5v only, no data lines connected.

So planning ahead for coordinator firmware updates, is usb coordinator firmware flashing done via the same ch340E, just hold the BSL button while plugging into USB, itā€™ll go into the bootloader, and cc2538-bsl.py will detect it? Is the board exposing the same rx/tx lines in the 4 pin header as is used in the ch340E? I donā€™t see a similar schematic posted to the usb coordinator github, and Iā€™m new to CC26xx serial bootloader so pardon the basic questions :smiley:

Back to a review, the USB coordinator is working flawlessly with z2m. My cc2531 coordinator started getting very flaky even short of 20 devices, early days with the cc2562p coordinator but so far pairing and operation has been excellent. Still using 3 cc2531 routers I have throughout the house, they paired easily with the new tubes coordinator and are working fine. Was so lucky to find this coordinator in stock after seeing it recommended on the z2m discord.

My bad on not getting the schematic up there yet!

But your assumptions are all spot on. Coordinator fw updates are done by holding the BSL on plugging in (or hitting the reset button should work as well) and then flashing with cc2548-bsl.py. The header is there for debugging if need be essentially.

OK that is a super convenient flashing procedure thanks! No worries on the documentation, also looking for the STL as you provide for the other products. I want to reprint the case in the same transparent PLA as my old coordinator, in homage and also should come in handy for using those LEDS :smiley:

Iā€™ll get it posted by the end of my day today. Iā€™m moving slower than usual as I just got a puppy that Iā€™m house training.

https://github.com/tube0013/tube_gateways/tree/main/tube_usb_cc_coordinator/STL_files

Posted :tada:

1 Like

nice thank you!

Just for (theoretical) feature plannings.
The router should also work as a Thread router with other firmware, right?

Hi all,

Iā€™m running HA in a VMWare VM with Tubeā€™s coordinator. It works great (unlike the Sonoff ZB Bridge).

How do I find out what channel my Zigbee network is using?

Thanks,

J.

When I get some time I want to try exactly this with GitHub - openthread/ot-esp32 hopefully embedded with ESPHome, albeit ESPHome may not be necessary as the ā€˜border routerā€™ just sits as a bridge to allow connected Thread devices to talk IPv6. As you suggest it seems the CC2652P2 will also need to be flashed to run thread.

with zigpy debug logging (any maybe without) turned out your network info should be reported at start up in the ha log.

1 Like

Hi there,

I figured out how to enable ZHA debugging from within HA and got the channel ID :+1:

Thanks for your help,

J.

Hi @tube0013
I recently received an EFR32 coordinator and wanted to provide some quick hardware feedback. I will power it via microUSB and have many of those cables with the majority of them from Samsung phones and tablets as my family prefers those.

Anyway, it appears that Samsung cables will not work. The problem is that the micro usb connector on the cables is too short and cannot be reliably inserted into the connector. I have others that work better, but it feels like even those are a bit looser than desired.

I am sure that it will work fine and wanted to pass along feedback for future improvements.

1 Like

You should report that specific problem as an new issue on Tubeā€™s GitHub so that he can track if get addressed in enclosure design (Case STL) so can handle different designs of Micro-USB connectors:

https://github.com/tube0013/tube_gateways/issues

https://github.com/tube0013/tube_gateways/tree/main/Case%20STL

I see what you mean. I will work on a case revision to put an inset around the micro USB port. I currently have this on the round cases for the router and coordinator, but i did it there due to the curvature to create a flat interface, but in doing that it trims the wall thickness in about half.

Thank you for the feedback!