Turn an ESP8266 WemosD1Mini into an audio notifier for Home Assistant: Play MP3, TTS & RTTL

Use the no dac settings.

Thanks you Nickrout

Hello again! Iā€™m looking to get this added into my Lovelace GUI and have been looking over your older post from a few weeks ago.

Do I add the code to the configuration.yaml file?

Do you have a further detailed tutorial on how to add this? The other post you had linked, looks like you were still sorting it out?

Hello,

the code is there : https://community.home-assistant.io/t/media-player-template/203062/94

miss something at first, like this :

media_player:
  - platform: media_player_template
    media_players:
      receiver:
        friendly_name: MrDiyReceiver
        device_class: receiver
        value_template: "on"
        play_media:
          service: mqtt.publish
          data:
            topic: "diy/play"
            payload: "{{media_id}}"
        turn_on:
          service: switch.turn_on
          # data_template:
          #   entity_id: switch.receiver_on
        turn_off:
          data:
            topic: "diy/stop"
        volume_up:
          data:
            topic: "diy/volume"
            payload: "+"
        volume_down:
          data:
            payload: "-"
        set_volume:
          data:
            payload: "{{volume}}"
        mute:
          data:
            payload: "0"

problem is the media_player is not recognize as an entity so you cant use it with TTS.

Perhaps someone with a good skill dev can make it as a component in HAā€¦

It work but i have a delay of 15 secondes before the music start. Stop command is immediatly done.

media_player.template is from @Sennevds https://github.com/Sennevds/media_player.template

2 Likes

Hey! Please describe in more detail how to send TTS from HA to MrDiy Notififier =)

Read the docs! It is right there GitHub - schmurtzm/MrDiy-Audio-Notifier: MrDiy Audio Notifier (based on esp8266audio) ported to platformio for ESP32

Hi Mr Schmutrz,

I was wondering, as a feature requestā€¦

Is there any additional memory available on a Wemos D1 to add more audio files? Like, in addition to the guitar strum? Maybe a couple chimes or something like that? I still have yet to figure out how to get this to play MP3 files well, from my own network.

I did set up an HFS server and it works, but itā€™s pretty clunky. If thereā€™s any memory left, just a couple simple notification sounds would be awesome. Iā€™m currently using RTL songs and my girlfriend is going nuts hearing ā€˜la cucarachaā€™ play through the house every time the door bell rings. lol

I loaded the firmware successfully on an esp32, and the ssid popped up.
I can conect to the ssid using the mrdiy.ca password, but when I change the settings, none of the password fields seem to ā€˜takeā€™. When I reboot the esp32, the setup ssid remains and when I connect to it, all the settings are ok and have the earlier changes, EXCEPT for all the password fields which are empty, including the web password field, the wifi field and the mqtt password field.
I am using an esp32 nodemcu. is that an issue?
i tried previous versions of the software and had the same issue.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I had that on another device - it was a browser issue. I couldnā€™t make changes that ā€œstuckā€ on one browser, I could on another. I cannot recall now whether it was a different browser on the same computer, or whether it worked on my phone but not my computer.

Thanks! that was the issue.
the esp32 can now connect to my wifi.
I am also hearing the sound on esp32 boot.

1 Like

Great project!
Here is a link to a TTS demo:

computer speaker:

Is this a possible solution to stream https?

Wiring diagram is same as shown in original video ?

GND - GND
LEFT/RIGHT - RX

Yes the same

now its done natively in EspHome :wink: what a great improvement!!!

media_player: 
  - platform: i2s_audio
    name: audionotifier Media Player
    dac_type: external
    i2s_lrclk_pin: GPIO33 
    i2s_dout_pin: GPIO22 
    i2s_bclk_pin: GPIO19
    mode: mono

recognize as ā€œMediaPlayerā€ in ha, can play music and TTS supportā€¦really great!

2 Likes

Did you completed this project. Can you show us how your wired the 12S DAC to the d1 mini?

lol its wrote just the post above, 3 pins to connect

and it doesnt work with a D1 mini, just with ESP32

Hello. I have installed the steps but at step 5 I tried but canā€™t connect I must have done something wrong can anyone help me. thanks

Are you talking about the steps on the instructables page?

Can you tell us exactly what you have seen and are doing?

Canā€™t connect to what? MQTT or wifi or what?

Hello. I follow this link: DIY Wifi Audio Notifier for ESP8266: Play MP3, TTS & RTTL (Cloud-free) : 7 Steps - Instructables
And the result is like this

I donā€™t know what to do