Turn Mycroft Mark II into Mic/Speaker for Voice Assistant

I have two Mark IIs which are paper weights at this stage since Mycroft shut down. I’m wondering if anyone has turned these into “edge devices” for Home Assistant. Can we get these to 1) serve as a speaker/mic for voice assistant and 2) display useful home assistant information on its display?

Not edge devices per se, but Neon AI officially took over as the OS for the Mark 2 after Mycroft shut down - the image can be downloaded here: Download the Neon AI Personal Assistant and Network Services and Applications | Neon AI

There’s a skill and plugin that come with it that you can configure via OAuth or directly in the configuration file that lets you communicate with Home Assistant, either through the plugin itself or directly speaking to the Assist API. There is a GUI display for it but I don’t recommend using it right now. It’s in need of a Qt maintainer since the previous one left and with many entities it will crash the Mark 2.

Neon has a Matrix channel for support or I’m happy to help out on this forum too. I’m one of the maintainers for the skill and plugin on Neon/OpenVoiceOS (OVOS).

I’d definitely recommend one of the OS images for the Mark 2 vs. trying to roll your own, as there are some specific drivers necessary to get the mic/speaker/display working properly, and if you were previously using Mycroft skills they’re compatible with the new software. Many have been enhanced after forking from the original Mycroft skill.

Please do let me know how you want to move forward!

-Mike

P.S. If you email [email protected] she has been known to mail SSDs with Neon pre-burned on them, which noticeably improve performance speed, and she’s also happy to help!

Hello Mike,
I have the Mark II as well and I installed NEON and the Home Assistant skill.
My Problem is that:
a) MyCroft is listening to “Hey Neon”, but then nothing happens. Play Jazz does produce a green frame, but nothing happens.
Further I have no clue how to interact with the skins (like Home Assistant), as the drop down menu is not showing them and I can’t figure out a way how to interact with the thing, except via SSH.

I would be grateful to get a little kickstart here…

over the past couple of days I have been working on reactivating my Mark ii as a home assistant voice device, based on the great groundwork by @pfefferle in mycroft-mark2-wyoming-satellite/README.md at main · pfefferle/mycroft-mark2-wyoming-satellite · GitHub

so far progress has been good. I was able to build the mark ii sandbox DIY image, and got the wyoming satellite to work with openWakeword and some basic led feedback.

I am trying to document everything along the way, so I hope I have something to share soon.

the next steps would be to add a desktop on top of the raspberry pi os lite image, and then maybe run it in kiosk mode with browser mod.

1 Like

fiy I just stumbled upon this info today SJ-201 / SJ201 Failure Mechanism Identified - Mark II - Open Source Conversational AI Community
I am now at the point where I am giving up on the device.