Turn off Automation if at least one member home

In my morning script, I would like the below automation to be turned off if at least one of us is home. I cited the individual trackers and a group I’ve created…not sure which would be usable in this. How may I piece this together?

- service: automation.turn_off
  entity_id: automation.office_motion

{% if is_state ("device_tracker.life360_scott", "home") %}
{% if is_state ("device_tracker.life360_2", "home") %}

GROUP:
people_family:
  name: Family
  entities:
  - device_tracker.life360_scott
  - device_tracker.life360_2

I’d be inclined to use conditions in the automation to not perform the action rather than turning the automation off. Are you intending to re-enable the automation every day? Conditions are much better…

2 Likes

Assuming you have not set the all option for the group to true, it should be as simple as:

- condition: state
  entity_id: group.people_family
  state: 'home'
- service: automation.turn_off

Though David makes a good point.

Why would you find conditions better? No concern about whether it’s on our not? The extra processing is not worth worrying about?

Edit: My problem adding conditions is have a Sleep script that is manually activated. This means I would probably need to use a variable, but have had difficulty in understanding the process.

Can I add this right into an existing script as posted?

As long as it is the last action in the script.

Got it, thx.

Could I instead use a service template?

- service_template: '{% if is_state ("group.people_family", "home") %} automation.turn_off {%endif%}'

Not unless you can come up with an ‘else’ case.

The way you have it now it the test is not true (group = not_home) there will be no service for the template.

I really think you should take David’s advice.

Okay, though I would need to use a variable and I have not had success in integrating them. Here’s what I need…

I manually execute both a sleep script and a wake script. I would need the automation contingent upon which script was executed and the only thing I can see would be setting a variable within each of those scripts, then set a condition for the variable. I cannot figure out how to do this.

Scott I think we’re having a hard time following what you’re trying to do here. You’ve thrown a couple of things out there that don’t seem to be related to your first question. If you were clearer about what you are trying to do you’ll probably get the answer you’re looking for.

Can you explain in english (not code) exactly what you’re trying to accomplish?

My original Q was answered, though the idea of using conditions was mentioned. I’ll try to explain again what I’m trying to do…

I would like my Office Motion Automation to only run when a) everyone is away from home, and/or b) during bedtime.

I have a script called Sleep that is manually executed at bedtime. This is accomplished via NFC tag/Tasker/HA script. I also manually execute a script called wake every morning.

Tom helped with Everyone Away, however, the only way I see getting this to work with conditions for bedtime is to use a variable.

There are several ways you could accomplish this.

Personally I’d use an input_select to control a Home / Night / Away mode state.

• When everyone is gone, change the input select to Away

• When someone comes home change it to Home.

• In your wake script change it to Home

• In your sleep script change it to Night.

Then in your office motion automation the only thing have to do is use the following condition which will only let your automation run in Away mode. You also don’t have to worry about turning the automation on or off.

condition:
    entity_id: input_select.house_mode
    state: 'Away'

Once you get more things going you’ll probably also find other uses for that input_select.

1 Like

Great. How do I set the input_select? What do I enter in my respective automations and scripts?

Check this out and get back to me if you still have questions.

Here’s what I’ve added…

ADDED TO AUTOMATION:
  - service: input_select.select_option
    data:
      entity_id: input_select.home
      option: Home

ADDED TO WAKE SCRIPT:
      entity_id: group.people_family
      state: 'home'
    - service: input_select.select_option
      data:
        entity_id: input_select.sleep
        option: Wake

Couple questions about this…

a) Do input_selection(s) survive HA reboots?

b) how do I test for input_selection in HA? I cannot find anything in Dev Tools or the logbook.

Edit: I use this condition set in my Office Motion Automation:

condition:
    condition: or
    conditions:
        entity_id: input_select.home
        state: 'Away'
        entity_id: input_select.sleep
        state: 'Sleep'

Yes.

Same as any other entity.