Turn off GE Z-Wave outlet blue LED?

Does anyone know how to disable the GE Z-Wave (Binary Power Switch) outlet blue LED? There’s no option in OpenZWave Control Panel for setting it. However, there does seem to be the option for controlling the LED on the Multilevel Power Switch.

I know its been a while but for anyone that finds this post via google I was finally able to figure out how to do this today. You need to set a config parameter on the outlet.

Go to the home assistant services page and go to
Domain: Z-Wave
Service: set_config_paramter

for data you need to paste in this
{“node_id”: “xxYOURNODEIDxx”, “parameter”: “3”, “value” : “1”, “size”: “1”}

You can get the node_id from the home assistant entities page.
As for the value paramter the valid values are 0 (on when off. default) 1 (on when on) 2 (always off).

Here is the documentation that describes more: http://www.ezzwave.com/advanced-operation/

Hope this was helpful!

2 Likes

There is another way to do this if you are on a Smarthings HUB. I was trying to figure out how to get the home assistant service page and it just didnt exist in any way I could find. So I called Samsung support and they explained how to do this on these switches.

1. Go to this website listed below in blue by clicking on it:
    Link to the Smarthings server to access YOUR account
  2. Login into the smartthings website using the credentials for your Samsung account.
  3. Once you have logged in, go to the top of the page and select the item that is labeled “Devices”. This will take you to a list of all the devices that are loaded or known to your Smartthings HUB.
  4. The leftmost column on the table of devices are the names of the different devices known to the hub.
  5. The column right next to that is the device type designator. You will most likely notice that all of your switches and plugs are designated Z-wave Switch Generic. This needs to be changed.
  6. Find the device that you wish to turn the blue LED off on and select it in the leftmost column. This will take you to the device page for that specific device.
  7. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select “EDIT”
  8. This will open the device list Options page. Scroll down approximatel 3/4 of the way and locate the field labeled “Type*”. Note that it says “Z-Wave switch Generic”.
  9. Select the pulldown menu for that option and Select “Z-wave Switch” then go to the bottom of the page and select “Update”
  10. After it updates, look and ensure that it now says “Z-wave Switch” and not “Z-wave Switch Generic”
  11. If all the changes are done, log out and go and open your “SmartThings App”.
  12. Select “My Home” at the bottom and it will present you with a list of all of your devices.
  13. Select the item you changed on the server and then on the next screen select the gear in the top right of the screen.
  14. It should now have the added field of “LED Indicator”
  15. Select the “LED Indicator”, and it will present you with the next screen which will allow you to select “When On”, “When Off”, or “Never”.

Selecting the Never option will turn off the Blue LED light. You can change this back anytime you want by now just coming here and modifying the options.

Enjoy,
Al

From the switch itself:

Quick tap the top botton (“on”) 3 times, then quick tap the bottom (“off”) 2 times.

The suggestion from @chriskacerguis may work if you have a wall switch, but not if you have the outlet. You can also use the zwave configuration settings in the web UI to turn the light off (for switches) … but for some reason open zwave doesn’t have the option to turn it completely off for the outlet yet.

Either way, I’m getting a silent failure with a TypeError: Expected str, got int python error in the log when trying to make the service call mentioned by @Jerrkawz. I’m not exactly sure what’s going on there, but filed an issue here: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/9595

This has (very confusingly) changed.

For parameters that have a list of options, like the GE outlet’s LED Light settings, you must use the string based config label as the value in the JSON that you post.

i.e. instead of {"node_id": "6", "parameter": "3", "value" : "1"}, you would do {"node_id": "6", "parameter": "3", "value" : "Yes"}

The problem is that at this time, open z-wave doesn’t have the “all off” option available as part of the config… so there’s no way to have a label string that maps to parameter 2. This is now implemented poorly IMO, but that’s neither here nor there…

I’ve opened a pull request to address this, but until that is merged and pulled into HASS, you’ll have to update things manually on your local config files… and you’ll have to remove any nodes that you’ve already setup from your local z-wave config in order for them to pick up this new configuration parameter.

I’ve outlined how I did that in one of the later comments here: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/9595

So you are right something did change. But you don’t have to use the Yes value. You can simply get rid of the quotes and use the integer value (at least you can on version 58 that im running). EG:

{“node_id”: “xxYOURNODEIDxx”, “parameter”: “3”, “value” : 1, “size”: “1”}

This will allow you to properly set any of the 3 values.

I’m trying to do this with a GE zwave dimmer. Seems to make no difference at all regardless of which value I set.

I know this is a bit, old, but should this still work?

and here is all my config data for one of the dimmers

You should be able to change this property from Configuration > ZWave menu. Just select the dimmer and the scroll down to the “Node Config Options” and select “LED Light”.

Here’s a screenshot of my zwave config menu with the options selected: https://i.imgur.com/hNvn5yG.png

1 Like

I have no options available at alll with either of my dimmers. Is there something that needs to be enabled for that to come up?

None of the options come up for any of my zwave devices, neither do node groups, node values, even the ozw log does not come up just stays at refreshing. I’m thinking maybe my zwave config has issues? Should I be able to see configs for my devices?

What devices are you using specifically? What model?

Are you able to control the device from HA?

12724, sorry I forgot to come back here. the issue was with HA 67.0, I have updated to 67.1 and am now good to go!

Thanks for following up

This is the easiest way in my mind to do this. My Linear Z-wave switches show up like yours. My GE show “Night Light” as a config option

Oh good! Glad it was something simple in the end :+1:

I’ve noticed this as well. With the LED Nightlight on some of my switches. The issue is that I can not set the LED to NEVER with this option. With SmartThings NEVER was an option.

1 Like