Turn off lights getting in bed

trying to automate turning off the lights when i get in bed. don’t judge. tried using when i put my phone on my charging pad, but it’s not reliable at all. thought about attaching a vibration sensor to the bed frame, but think it will just chew battery as i move around all night. picked up a zooz vibration sensor that took usb, but it didn’t work at all. don’t want a motion sensor pointed at the bed. anyone have a good idea? thanks,

-SM-

Search for “bed sensor” on the forum. There are many good posts on this.

e.g.

thanks, i tried searching around, but clearly didn’t have the right keywords.

I use an NFC tag. I found an easy (and discreet – no complaints from spouse) place for the tag on my nightstand.

We use Alexa for that. And the Alexa doesn’t need to be in the bedroom. We walk past kitchen and set bedtime lights through automation with delay. And in case we forget, a simple insteon switch with a scene does the same.

Oh and also both our phones have a custom dashboard with quick actions. Bedtime is one of them. It is a button press or voice command. I could never see getting into bed as a viable solution unless you are single and have no dogs. …

Withings sleep sensor here. The integration requires a bit ofncare and feeding from an auth perspective (update once/wk for me)

But it’s completely hands free, I get sleep data and it exposes a sensor I can use for automation.

thanks for the replies. not into alexa. hadn’t heard of withings. how does that interact with other activities in the bed? not sure i want analytics for everything …

It shows the same type of data in thier app as you would see from something like a fitbit. Sleep duration, quality, snoring etc. They have a good write up on thier site.

yeah, not sure i want to send data to a company that shows when i have sex. just want to turn off the lights and mute SMS.

Withings sleep sensor is the best for this. I use it via IFTTT.

This might be a helpful link as well:

I use an FSR bed sensor along with a motion sensor under the bed that points outward.

In general it works flawlessly.

thanks for everyone’s help. both of the strain sensor approaches look cool. i think i’m going to start with working out some WLED setups, then tackle these.

how are folks running USB powered stuff? for doorbells, thermostats, etc. i can run hundreds of feet of 20 gauge wire from a transformer, but it seems like for 5V stuff folks are using usb-micro cables and outlet plugs, which don’t come readily in spools.

Ive got wifed network just about everywhere so Im using PoE adapters for most of my low voltage power needs. Come in various forms including USB micro A, USB-C, and all manners of voltages, amperages, and polarities on various barrel connectors

I’ve been fitting mains sockets with dual USB outlets everywhere I need to power an ESP.

Have also used the PoE splitters mentioned above by Nathan, e.g.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/5v-micro-usb-poe-splitter/p/YN8416

1 Like

sorry, i guess i wasn’t clear. i’m doing a remodel. i want to run wires through walls, ceilings, floors, wherever, so they are hidden. e.g. for stair tread lights. i know i can plug things into outlets or add outlets or wall jacks, but that is not what i want to do. it shouldn’t be necessary for simple 5V power. i want a clean look. you don’t see your thermostat wires running along the baseboard, so why should you see your light controller?

edit: something like this and some solder looks like a potential solution. https://www.amazon.com/BINZET-Converter-Regulator-Regulated-Transformer/dp/B00J3MHRNO/ref=psdc_10967761_t1_B08NZSYZRF?th=1

I’m still running Cat5e or better and doing PoE - Never hurts to have more network cable, it dual purposes, and usually these devices need network access too.

When you’re not using them, you get ‘clean look’ with just a nice little RJ45 keystone in a choice of colors. If you just need the barrel jack you can stuff the PoE adapter in the low voltage box and expose just the jack.

My only exception to this would be - also run 16ga or larger 4 conductor bell wire from a central location to the top corner (you pick which) of every window. Powered shades/curtains… No batteries. That would be difficult with PoE.

yeah, i’m doing shades in my bedroom as well. we built a shade pocket which holds the motor, etc.

i have one of these as a central location https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V6ZTM51/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

then i’m placing a few 120v step-down transformers behind access plates that can also hold controllers. a home power and automation network basically. i could use cat6 for power and comm, but i was hoping to use something less bulky and wireless for comm. i’ve pulled a lot of cat5 out of walls that people thought would be useful at one time. since i’m the electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc. i can do it the way i want. and then change it when i no longer like it;)

1 Like

I use the Withings sleep tracker/bed sensor. Wifi based, can operate standalone (to report sleeping metrics) and works with the native HA Withings integration.

Primary downside is that it does not report ‘out of bed’ for very long, as the device goes to sleep and the state becomes ‘unavailable’. So the ‘state cycle’ is something like:
Get in bed: state unavailable → on/in bed
Get out of bed: state on/in bed → off/out of bed
Unit goes to sleep: state off/out of bed → unavailable

I have to occasionally re-login to the Withings service, but I have always chalked that up to me experimenting on my server and rebooting it often