Turn on iPad screen with a sensor for Dashboard

Hi – I have an iPad Mini 3 with the Home Assistant Companion App installed. I created a binary sensor in HASS with an automation that turns it on every 10min –delay_off is set to 2min. It works great, incl. the recurring notifications in Homekit, however it doesn’t keep the iPad on in Guided Access. iOS 12.5.5. Any ideas?

If you go to settings - guided access - display auto lock you can set how long you want the screen to stay on.

1 Like

Thanks for this, saved me a tons of time!

Does this (still) work for you guys? After a longer period of no motion detection (hours, like after a good night’s sleep) the iPad won’t wake up by the notification triggered by the motion detection. It’s in guided access.
I tried several motion detectors (hue via official bridge and two triggered by homebridge).
Calling the ipad on facetime wakes it and the automation I built, which switches the charger on for a minute to open the home app and push a notification does too. So the motion detection works fine to trigger the automation but it won‘t wake the iPad.
I recently updated my ipad to 15.4.1 - but I can‘t say if it started with the update.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Thank you!
Chris

Looks like this way of waking up the iPad no longer works on iOS 16.

Leaving it always on empties the battery to 0% and it shuts down.

Did anyone figure out a solution? Appears that there is a way to use ESP32 as a virtual Bluetooth keyboard, but unfortunately, it does not compile on the latest ESPHome version.

Thanks to ESPHome BLE Keyboard, I was able to get the virtual keyboard running smoothly, both to wake up the screen and lock it in Guided Access mode.

Unfortunately, it wouldn’t work with other ESPHome Bluetooth sensors (.i.e. bluetooth_proxy, xiaomi, etc.) so I had to install the esphome virtual ble keyboard on a separate esp32.

Mine still works.
It’s always plugged in though.

I did this same thing on and old iPhone. I have it mounted to the wall over a blank outlet cover
. Idea is to use this as a “smart switch” similar to Brilliant. I’m able to get the screen to turn on via a motion sensor however I have noticed that after some time the screen will turn on as normal but the dashboard has not updated and unable to interact with the dashboard. Able to swipe down to reload but does nothing. I will have to exit guided access then re enter. All works fine until it starts again. Not sure that since this is a prototype I’m using battery for the time being. Would this change if plugged into power?

1 Like

Not sure but I really want to put a magsafe like puck behind a blank switch plate and mount my old iPhone XS with a “magsafe-like” case. I’ve proven it works in my basement on my magsafe mount, I just need to make the mount. Also the screen is broken so it’s a little bit of an eyesore. As our phones age they get handed down to the kids as “tiny ipads” because who wants to lug iPads around for their kids, eventually I’ll have more spares with wireless charging. I want to have one in every room as a room controller. My one concern is there seems to be some sort of chip in these wireless chargers that needs to be rebooted sometimes, so I’d have to reset the breaker for that room if that becomes the case.

do anyone knows if something changed in latest updates?, this stopped working this week for me, and i don’t see notifications for my motion sensors anymore :frowning:

Which version? I think mine’s set to auto-update but i haven’t noticed a problem yet.

IOS version 16.5
trying to see which version of homekit/homebridge i have.

on the status and notification menus, i only see “include in Home Summaries” but nothing else.

also when setting up notifications from the ipad´s settings, when i click “home notification settings” it just puts me on the dashboard of homekit, and no setting pops up.

I just set this up by using an old ipad mini (ios 14) without using homekit, but just using the notifications from Home-Assistant:

alias: "Wakeup Dashboard"
description: ""
trigger:
  - type: motion
    platform: device
    device_id: 034ad38a76dc2223423432140a0547fb
    entity_id: binary_sensor.diningroom_sensor_motion
    domain: binary_sensor
condition: []
action:
  - service: notify.mobile_app_ipad
    data:
mode: single
2 Likes

where do you get that device ID?

i answer myself :smiley:

Goto device page, in Automation div click plus button, choose “Do something when this device turns on or off” (or something like this). This will follow you to creating automation page with trigger on your device. Click three dots, choose “Edit in YAML” - you will see device_id and entity_id of this device.

i did, but for some reason that ipad is not receiving any notifications :frowning:

note*: make sure do not disturb is off :smiley:

Are there any updates on this topic for Ipads (iOS 16+…)? Or on how one can downgrade them easily…

The method doesn´t seem to work with such higher iOS.

Just confirmed I’m on iOS 16.1 and now I’m not letting it update…
Maybe time to get the Pixel tablet, looked pretty awesome with Fully Kiosk in Reed’s video featured on the state of the open home.
I’ve been using the iPad because our house is an Apple house and it was an abandoned iPad my wife no longer used after we realized laptops are still way more useful.
I have Fully Kiosk running in my office on a fire tablet and it’s really good, just the Fire Tablet is terrible…
I need to invest in a better wifi network though, so hopefully that’ll happen before iOS 16.1 gets too old.

Hi, just posting this here too in case anyone watching this thread has ever encountered a deeper sleep that won’t wake to HA but to notification list?

Not at all sure what you mean by 3. Add Home Assistant to your Homekit App on my ipad? I have Homekit on my ipad and Home Assistant in a different places on the ipad they are not in the same App and I no clue on the Guided Access as nothing comes up on my ipad when I activate it. Can you help any further on this please or where I can read a setup for it?

I confirm, after I upgraded my iPad (pro ios 16.X) and the new homey architecture, the wake up trick is not working anymore :disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved:

With all the updates, Apple is less better every day… crazy.

Anyone found an easy solution to wakeup an ios 16 ipad with motion? The homekit interface is still the easiest one for the family….