Turning a dimmer down to lowest via UI slider should keep the light on not switch off

well, of course I can. That is not my point at all.
Just as its truly possible to slide all the way down to brightness = 1…

I should not have to, since I really like to slide all the way down to Off.

Compare it with a volume know on a amplifier. Imagine having to turn that off for the sound to go to 0, since turning it to its lowest position would still provide sound. Would be quite unacceptable in the Audio world…

The thing is, with the proposed change, HA is deprived of a just that global functionality (slider from 0 -255).
Users that want a safeguard can already do so, albeit in customize, not native HA, I know. But it is possible and very easy. Users could also be pointed to that solution (and thus making this change unnessecary)
Offering both worlds to both groups of users.

Taking that out now by limiting slider from 1-255, is limiting global functionality that for many users mimic true life, since their hardware dimmers (can) do the same.

If this is put forward, and I fear it is, given the latest in the Github discussion on this, could I ask to at least make in an option to customize it again, and not create this breaking change in custom-ui, for users who have carefully set that up? Hope @andrey knows what will happen with the displayed sliders when the lights are in a position (off) the sliders can’t display.

thanks for considering.

1 Like

I have to disagree, it is very hard, if not impossible, to slide all the way down to 1

in which situation do you experience these difficulties? have you set a slider on the light

or are you talking about the more-info card?

maybe I could help?

Yes on the more-info card. If you move your finger to the left on the Brightness slider (on a phone), the lamp is off before you know it. Or it is not at the lowest not-off value and you have more light than you wanted.

I hear you, but, tbh, these sliders aren’t very well suited for finger-use on an phone at all… can’t see the brightness in the pin, because it hides behind your finger (thats another option to set in the customize btw)

you know you can set off_when_min: false ? the way you can slide quickly all the way to the left to set it to minimum brightness. very cool. Idont use that, because I want to slide to 0, but its there if you like to slide to 1.

see https://github.com/andrey-git/home-assistant-custom-ui/blob/master/docs/features.md#complete-example

Locking this as it has been implemented