Turning On Denon AVR in automation using 'Add Action'

I’m trying to automate a Device (in my case Denon AVR) to ON using ‘ADD ACTION’ in HA automation.

In automation using browser UI, after setting a trigger, I move to ‘ADD ACTION’ and selected ‘Device’.
In ‘Perform action with’, I can select ‘Device’ as ‘Denon AVR-X3500H’ which is my required device.
However the issue I am facing is that there is no ‘Actions’ getting listed against this device.

The device do have name as ‘Denon AVR-X3500H’, entity id as ’ media_player.denon_avr_x3500h’ and State as ‘on’ or ‘off’

Trying to fix, I removed and re-added the device, restarted HA after adding the device but still in automation, I am not getting the option to perform an action on the device to turn it On.
Any suggestions will be of great help.

First always avoid device actions if possible. It makes your life harder later because they’re not easily replaced if you ever replace your AVR.

Now as to how. You typically do things in HA with services. In this case the AVR is a media player. So you’re looking for services related to the media player domain.

If you’re interested in what’s available go to services under developer tools and start typing media_player. In the box.

As to your specific issue you’re looking for media_player. turn_on and you’ll have to pass the entity_id of your AVR as the target.

Thanks a lot for sharing the information, Service in new to me and using ‘Service’ solved it.

1 Like

You should also be able to install and setup the HEOS integration. When you do you’ll also need to use a service to login that integration. (I do mine in a script that fires on HA startup)

Now if Denon /HK could just get Spotify to play nice with Alexa…