Turnkey raspberry pi deployment with Fabric

Trying to update the Configuration.yaml using WinSCP.

I’m simply commenting out the introduction line with a # in front of “introduction:”

So I’m not clear how to restart home-assistant from within WinSCP so I simply pull the power plug on the Raspberry.

The introduction screen will not go away (cleared cache) and I can view the updated configuration.yaml to see the line is commented out.

Only log entry is…

16-05-17 11:17:18 homeassistant.components.recorder: Found unfinished sessions

I see no other configuration.yaml on the SD card at all.

What did I do wrong?

Calvin

Who are you logged in as?

pi / raspberry and I have the sudo su - done in WinSCP

Thanks,
Calvin

So I think your logged in as question is referring to the front page of Home-assistant? I was able to log out & log back in (doesn’t seem to matter what I use as password to log in (raspberry/ blank)) and the intro screen is gone so I’m off to edit something else and learn more.

Thanks,
Calvin

This is failing for me with when extracting libwebsockets

[localhost] out: libwebsockets-1.4-chrome43-firefox-36/test-server/leaf.jpg
[localhost] out:
[localhost] out: gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
[localhost] out: tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
[localhost] out: tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
[localhost] out: tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
[localhost] out:

Fatal error: sudo() received nonzero return code 2 while executing!

Requested: tar xvf libwebsockets*
Executed: sudo -S -p 'sudo password:'  /bin/bash -l -c "cd /tmp >/dev/null && tar xvf libwebsockets*"

Aborting.
Disconnecting from localhost... done.

Unfortunately it seems that if the script fails you cannot simply run it again. It will fail if rerun for a number of reasons, existing users, directories, etc.

What’s the upgrade procedure for HA in a VirtualEnv as pip3 install --upgrade homeassistant does not work? Error log here.

Same boat, normal upgrade fails to work due to permissions/file locations I guess? My log is a bit different…

Thanks, Calvin

/home/hass$ pip3 install --upgrade homeassistant
Downloading/unpacking homeassistant
Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip-build-lnruzr3k/homeassistant/setup.py) egg_info for package homeassistant

no previously-included directories found matching 'homeassistant/components/frontend/www_static/home-assistant-polymer'

Downloading/unpacking requests>=2,<3 from https://pypi.python.org/packages/99/b4/63d99ba8e189c47d906b43bae18af4396e336f2b1bfec86af31efe2d2cb8/requests-2.10.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl#md5=abf5a77de3e8a5973c738cca884502a0 (from homeassistant)
Downloading/unpacking pyyaml>=3.11,<4 (from homeassistant)
Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip-build-lnruzr3k/pyyaml/setup.py) egg_info for package pyyaml

Downloading/unpacking pytz>=2016.4 (from homeassistant)
Downloading/unpacking pip>=7.0.0 (from homeassistant)
Downloading/unpacking vincenty==0.1.4 (from homeassistant)
Downloading vincenty-0.1.4.tar.gz
Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip-build-lnruzr3k/vincenty/setup.py) egg_info for package vincenty

Downloading/unpacking jinja2>=2.8 (from homeassistant)
Downloading/unpacking voluptuous==0.8.9 (from homeassistant)
Downloading voluptuous-0.8.9.tar.gz
Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip-build-lnruzr3k/voluptuous/setup.py) egg_info for package voluptuous
WARNING: Could not locate pandoc, using Markdown long_description.

Downloading/unpacking webcolors==1.5 (from homeassistant)
Downloading webcolors-1.5.tar.gz
Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip-build-lnruzr3k/webcolors/setup.py) egg_info for package webcolors

Requirement already up-to-date: MarkupSafe in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (from jinja2>=2.8->homeassistant)
Downloading/unpacking setuptools>=0.6b1 from https://pypi.python.org/packages/57/68/a5b7002017dfbbf5f52bc23d4a9adedc97f7ceb5d92ae15591e858a56415/setuptools-21.2.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl#md5=7b46ed0067e872dce9893ff129f3cc96 (from voluptuous==0.8.9->homeassistant)
Installing collected packages: homeassistant, requests, pyyaml, pytz, pip, vincenty, jinja2, voluptuous, webcolors, setuptools
Running setup.py install for homeassistant

no previously-included directories found matching 'homeassistant/components/frontend/www_static/home-assistant-polymer'
Installing hass script to /usr/local/bin

Found existing installation: requests 2.4.3
Not uninstalling requests at /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages, owned by OS
Running setup.py install for pyyaml
checking if libyaml is compilable
arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -pthread -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -g -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fPIC -I/usr/include/python3.4m -c build/temp.linux-armv7l-3.4/check_libyaml.c -o build/temp.linux-armv7l-3.4/check_libyaml.o
build/temp.linux-armv7l-3.4/check_libyaml.c:2:18: fatal error: yaml.h: No such file or directory
#include <yaml.h>
^
compilation terminated.

libyaml is not found or a compiler error: forcing --without-libyaml
(if libyaml is installed correctly, you may need to
 specify the option --include-dirs or uncomment and
 modify the parameter include_dirs in setup.cfg)

Found existing installation: pip 1.5.6
Not uninstalling pip at /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages, owned by OS
Running setup.py install for vincenty

Found existing installation: Jinja2 2.7.3
Not uninstalling Jinja2 at /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages, owned by OS
Running setup.py install for voluptuous
WARNING: Could not locate pandoc, using Markdown long_description.

Running setup.py install for webcolors

Found existing installation: setuptools 5.5.1
Not uninstalling setuptools at /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages, owned by OS
Successfully installed homeassistant requests pyyaml pytz pip vincenty jinja2 voluptuous webcolors setuptools
Cleaning up…

Anybody figure out how to update in a virtualenv? Following the directions on the site appear to upgrade has, but it’s still running 19.4.

I also like to know to to update in the virtualenv. Someone already found out? @jbags81 ?

After a lot of trying I found out… and it works:

to upgrade:

sudo su -s /bin/bash hass

then

source /srv/hass/hass_venv/bin/activate

then

pip3 install --upgrade homeassistant

I was able to get home assistant setup on my PI w/ this installer and I’m now trying to setup my zwave stick but I don’t know where to find the config that’s mentioned in the instructions. When I did this on a test VM the paths matched up but I don’t see anything matching the path in the /srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/

Wiki Path: /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/libopenzwave-0.3.0b8-py3.4-linux-x86_64.egg/config

Any pointers on where to look?

Thanks!

***EDIT

A little more digging and I found the answer in another thread. Z-Wave with Raspberry Pi All-In-One Installer