Tuya-based Wood Pellet Stove battle fought and won with ESPHome

I have been battling my two Tuya-based wood pellet stoves for over a year and have finally conquered them with ESPHome. They fail often with cryptic error codes and the Tuya integration fails if the stove is made in the USA. I have also come to deeply hate the Tuya cloud stuff. I know more about it now than I ever want to. The ONLY good thing about the Tuya hardware is that it is pretty easy to hack. Bringing it completely local w/ ESPHome is the only way to go. LocalTuya is a nice attempt at this but all the failings of these stoves are still there.

So, this finally fixes that. Its been a long journey, but my wife and I finally wake up in the mornings warm and fuzzy instead of cold and cursing. And they now keep running all day long as long as I add pellets once in a while.

The next thing I’ll attack is to add a pellet low sensor. I’ve seen other implementations of that and it and they appear to work. Time will tell.

I put everything on Github so the next victim of these stove’s shoddy programming can benefit from my deep dive into controlling these things.

Enjoy

5 Likes

I feel your hate m8. And even though We are the Silent once, who try to speak up against The Evil, The Evil will not change his way. Because, money. Yup. It’s just easier to push shit into production.

This sounds like just the ticket. I am buying the stove because of this integration now.

Cool! Winter is around the corner. I’m considering making a circuit board for the “ultimate” version of this. I’ve got some experience with .KiCad now and 4 shipments of boards from PCBWay. I just need to dive into it using ESP32 wroom chips. There has to be some existing Dev board circuits already out there I could start with.

I need to find a forum for that somewhere.

Jeff

1 Like

@jazzmonger I know exactly how you feel mate…

I did something similar for my duepi based stove (italian made)

Thats a cool implementation, so I see you shared my pain! Good thing we’ve become experts at reverse engineering data streams. I must have stared at hex streams for what seems like days. In the end it was WAY too simple, but I had made it complicated! :slight_smile:

Hi Jeff,

Love your work here. I have one of these being installed later this week from an Australian supplier that looks identical to yours (I’ve got the smaller 8kW version).

I’ve read through your Github and am having cold chills through deficiencies of both chronology and confidence. Have you got to the point of having a plug in replacement chip available (or achievable) that I could just buy from you? Swapping out a chip I can manage - which leaves the original available if I ever need to swap it back in ahead of a repair issue on some other part of the system… I would need to be staring down a very big barrel to take a soldering iron to something that was still working (albeit badly). I’m not an engineer like yourself - did do maintenance for 30 years but only really to “board” level. For most clients a new board was usually cheaper than paying labour rates for an attempted chip level repair.

Thanks in anticipation - either way!

It’s a labor of love and passion… I’m afraid this past winter it got cold quick and I wired up my shop stove the same way I did my house stove. I considered creating a circuit board but this project is on the back burner while I finish the other circuit boards needed for my business (modeltregulators.com)
Your best bet is to flash my basic code to your existing TUYA chip. Those chips are almost bulletproof so it’s pretty hard to mess them up. And the stove will operate just fine without them. Its ONLY function is to provide wifi connecectivity, that’s it. At least that will let you integrate it into home assistant and have complete local control without prying Chinese eyes.

Jeff