Tuya Convert and Brilliant Smart (or BrilliantSmart) 20888 RGB W GU10 Bulbs

Hi All,

I have a large number of Brilliant Smart 20876 and 20888 bulbs (purchased from Officeworks) that I have flashed with tasmota (currently 9.2) and successfully integrated into HA.

There are lots of articles both here and elsewhere on how to do this so I won’t bother repeating the instructions here. I would like to thank the numerous people (both smarter and more experienced than me) who have worked out how to do it.

It has been known for some time that the tuya is changing the WiFi module (see https://tasmota.github.io/docs/Tuya-Convert/ and upgrading the version of Tuya that devices ship with, both of which will cause issues with tuya-convert.

Last week I purchased an additional 20888 bulb from Officeworks but could not get it to flash successfully with tuya-convert (using the same process of have used successfully many times before). I even downloaded that latest version of tuya-convert to no avail. Closer inspection revealed that although the packaging looked identical and the model name was the same one of the other identifying numbers on the bulb (I assume a revision number) has changed. Here is a picture

The bulb on the left has the same number (EB20119) on all of my previously re-flashed 20888 bulbs. The one on the right (EB25619) was on the new bulb that I couldn’t flash to tasmota. This bulb worked perfectly in the Brilliant Smart app BTW, it was only when I tried to flash it that I had problems.

As I have only had experience with one bulb I can’t say categorically that you cannot flash bulbs with the EB25619 revision number on it. However, please be aware that this is possible.

I went back to my local Officeworks stores (Woolloongabba and Oxley) and ferreted through their stock and found a couple of bulbs with the EB20119 revision number on it and purchased them. So I can only assume that they are transitioning to new stock.

My 20876 bulbs that have been re-flashed successfully have a revision number of EB21519. I imagine the revision numbers on these bulbs will also change (if they haven’t already).

Regards,

Mark

2 Likes