Tuya-integration does not update status anymore

Hi everone,

Running HAOS with tuya integration

Recently (as in last month) I noticed following new problem: the status of my tuya-lights is sometimes not updated anymore. Resulting in that I can not toggle my lights anymore.

What still works:

• begin situation: light is OFF, in HA the status is also OFF
  • in HA toggle light → light turns ON, but status in HA displays OFF
  • in HA I can not turn OFF the light anymore (as HA thinks it is already OFF)
  • in TUYA-app I can turn OFF the light
  • than, in HA I can turn ON the light again.

So it seems that the TUYA-integration is only partially working: if the light is OFF, the command to turn it ON is sent to the cloud. However, the feedback from the light is not (correctly) processed.
In the native TUYA-app on my phone, everything works fine, including status updates, so connection of my device to my network and cloud seems to be OK.

If I reload the TUYA-integration, HA works fine again for a while, but than, this problem starts over again

Things that have been changed lost month(s) at my side: I always upgrade my HA instance to the latest version. And I added some new TUYA devices (right now I have 56 devices with 115 entities).

As the problem only occurs intermittently, I can’t immediately trace the cause back to a particular version of HA or a particular device I added. However, the devices I added last month are of same type I had already, so I’m not expecting a problem with the device particulary.

So my question(s):

• did somebody else experienced the same problem?
  • is there a limit in number of device you can handle with the tuya integration?

kind regards,
Bart Plessers

I experienced the similar problem. I have only a few tuya wifi devices and from time to time I cannot toggle switch. I have to reload integration.
I doubt that this is related to number of devices as I have 9 devices.
Glad I dumped majority of them.

OK, that’s good news!

Well, it depends. I have a lot of very cheap lightbulbs. You get what you pay for, but technically I’ve never had an issue with TUYA.
The problem here is the integration TUYA-HASS, so you can’t blame TUYA for it.

thanx for response!
grtz
B

When i started with home assistant i bought tuya wifi switches. And than there was a talk that this will flicker without capacitor because of cheap light bulbs. I couldn’t switch my lights off without capacitor.

But this is not the case with zigbee switches. Zigbee switches doesn’t require any capacitor and will work with any light bulb no matter how cheap it is. Now, the problem might lay in a fact that wifi is more energy hungry than zigbee. But also the problem might be in tuya wifi firmware.
I’m not sure what the case is. I just switched nearly everything to zigbee for few reason.
Local control, no capacitor needed, wifi switches using esphome as athom are much more expensive.

FYI
Problem still exists in
Home Assistant 2023.5.3
Supervisor 2023.04.1
Operating System 10.1
Frontend 20230503.3 - latest

Logger: urllib3.connectionpool
Source: components/tuya/base.py:275 
First occurred: May 15, 2023 at 10:38:32 (1128 occurrences) 
Last logged: 19:24:12

Connection pool is full, discarding connection: openapi.tuyaeu.com. Connection pool size: 10

Issue opened a couple of weeks ago:

exactly the same situation here since some days.
3 tuya devices (AWATTO WSM02), HA Core 2023.10.4
I can switch them ON via HA, but they don’t get the recent status and i can’t switch them off from within HA.
But from tuya app on my mobile, I can switch them on/off and see the status.

Any Idea how to auto-fix or auto-repair it? My wife is quite upset about it, because I soldered the things into her favourite lamps :cold_face:

Can you use tuya local with those devices ? I have latest update as you and tuya switches are working.

No, it is not “tuya locally”. I guess, such does not exist entirely.
It is tuya via the cloud. Always. From Mobile via Tuya App or via Smarlife App, as well as from Home Assistant via tuya integration.

Following this. I have the same issue. I have reloaded the integration and was able to get the status reflecting accurately in HA dashboards. Will need to check if this is temporary or whether this has solved the issue permanently.

Hi @wkofangmar ,

I also had this week same issue again. Today everything seems to work fine again.

I have the same issue. I have 3 smoke detectors in the Tuya App and when they detect smoke, I get a notification from the App. But I don’t get any notifications in Home Assistant or Apple HomeKit. I also have to reload it first in Home Assistant to see the status respectively the log.
Is there a way to change the refresh rate?

It is now March, 2024 with HA Core version 2024.2.5. I have the same issue! HA is NOT showing the correct status (On or Off) of my 4 SmartLife/Tuya devices. When this happens, toggling the switch On or Off in HA, nothing happens on the devices. I have to manually reload the Tuya Integration in order to show the correct status of the devices. This is not a problem with the SmartLife App on my phone at all. It is just HA’s Tuya integration is buggy! I will probably dump my 4 SmartLife devices and delete the crappy Tuya Integration.

1 Like

Same on core 2024.3.0 here. I’ve got several Tuya devices via the official intergration = cloud. And just one temperature&humidity sensor doesn’t get updated in HA.
In SmartHome app it works just fine, but in HA I need to reload Tuya integration which renders the sensor useless.
I didn’t have any success setting up Tuya Local so far, maybe it’s time to give it another go both for Tuya Local and Local tuya, whichever would work.

1 Like

just FYI:
meanwhile I have 67 tuya devices here and everything is working fine.

I’ve managed to add the problematic temp&humidity sensor to Local Tuya after all and through Local Tuya it’s now been working fine for a day.
Still doesn’t work through official Tuya integration.

For those in the same boat, none of my Tuya temp&humidity battery-powered sensors keep their state in Local Tuya. Most of the time they would show “unavailable” and only for few seconds when the sensor updates the info they would show the acutal value. The solution for this issue is to create a trigger-template sensor that would hold the last known value of the LocalTuya sensor as described here

My localtuya devices unaiviable since 2024.3, reverted back it work. I use tuya too but no prob with.

Same trouble I’ve a motion detector. Tuya App receive update of motion but HA not after Integration reload the status change. It seem that pooling don’t work anymore.
Update Status :
HA => Tuya work
Tuya => HA don’t work

To who has no problem which I the setup?
My Tuya zigbee device are connected through Z2MQTT… does any one using Tuya hub? Could be that the problem?

The original post was about tuya wifi devices and the Tuya (cloud) integration