Tuya Lights - Slow to Turn on, but okish turning off

I’ve got various tuya lights I purchased before christmas. They were fine and responsive until about the last two weeks where they’ve got ridiculously slow e.g. 10 seconds to turn on - either via an automation or via lovelace.

Turning off seems ok and the lights are responsive when I turn on via google assistant.

Is anyone else having problems? I’ve looked at https://github.com/codetheweb/tuyapi/blob/9b53b03baae137d3d2e5b3c4436e384aaeca5b7b/docs/SETUP.md but all was ok before, so I’m hoping I won’t have to go down this road which is beyond my skill level.

Same thing has happend to me. I have about 35 lights, all really slow turning on (tuya) all of the sudden…

Look at this video, I’ll go down this road to see if it fixes them.

Thanks. I’ll have a look at this today. Let me know how you get on.

The slowness is annoying especially for rooms like the cloakroom or hallway lights where the motion sensors pick up the movement straightaway, but the lights don’t come on for ages!

I totally get you… No idea why, it happend out of nowhere. Exact same issue… I’ll let you know my results! I’ll try to flash some bulbs tonight

I too have had this happen in the last week or two.
Its also almost exclusive to motion sensors. come to think of it. thats the only way ive noticed.

Ive flashed some bulbs lately, and to be honest, i thought it was due to mqtt slowing down my network…it got slower imo.

changed to esphome using the api instead of the mqtt seems to be decent now. still isnt like it used to be, almost instant.

Weird.

Flashing the bulbs solved it!

1 Like

Excellent - did you follow the method in the video? Any tips?

I’m going to have a crack at this today as it’s driving me mad and when guests come round it encourages them to mess with the switches, which causes more problems.

I followed this guide

But I uploaded another firmware bin file. I used ESPHOME in Home assistant to compile a BIN file. Don’t worry, it sounds harder then it is.
I have the Flamiant E27 type lights, here is the YAML config file for these.

Requirements: a Raspberry Pi

Here’s a guide how to setup ESPHome

in the guide they used sonos, another firmware you can upload. I used the code below to create a bin file to upload to my raspberry pi (i used WINSCP to transfer the BIN file).
Be carefull, every device you flash with the tuya converter needs it’s own ID. I bricked 2 lamps, ordered a serial converter to USB so I can reflash them on my PC instead of WiFi. Once you flashed them, there’s no way back (expect manualy using the serial converter to reflash them).

This is probably a lot of info, I was not sure if I could do it myself, took a couple of hours to get it right but the lights work better then ever before now!! Highly recommend diving into this

esphome:
  name: light1
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp01_1m

wifi:
  ssid: "FILLINYOUROWN"
  password: "FILLINYOUROWN"

# Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: "Tuya Fallback Hotspot"
    password: "ObPG9RIlmLIg"

captive_portal:

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:

ota:

light:
  - platform: cwww
    name: "light1"
    cold_white: output_component1
    warm_white: output_component2
    cold_white_color_temperature: 3500 K
    warm_white_color_temperature: 2000 K
    restore_mode: ALWAYS_ON
#    default_transition_length: 5s

output:
  - platform: esp8266_pwm
    id: output_component1
    pin: 14
  - platform: esp8266_pwm
    id: output_component2
    pin: 12

Thanks - I ordered a raspberry pi to try this out and a few other projects. It’s just arrived, so I’ll be having a go today.

A few questions:

1. why did you use ESPHOME and not the included firmware?
  2. how did you create the config for the light?

The first video for the flashing looks easy enough - I’ll look at the 2nd once I’ve successfully flashed a device.

Ok, I managed to flash two bulbs but I should have checked the device profiles first as mine weren’t listed. One bulb half worked, but I think I’ve bricked it as it won’t come on now.

Luckily they only cost about £10 each. Next time I’ll just buy better bulbs as I’ve spent half a day on this and my time is worth more!

Update: Managed to find the right module (AiLight) for the one that stopped working. Switched on MQTT autodiscovery and wow! Instant lights! Unfortunately, that was the odd one out - I’ve got two or three other types but I think I’ll get better at configuring.

Excellent!

1 Like

Sorry for not replying!! I was on holiday for a few days. I’m glad you got it working!

• Why I chose ESPHome is because of the easier integration
  • How did you create the config for the light? - Google / other threads.

I’m keeping an eye on this thread for the GU10 lights,

What sort of lights do you have left that need flashing?

I gave up in the end as it was too hit and miss for me and I couldn’t work out how to create my own configs. I found some cheapish Osram B22s on Amazon so I swapped out all but 3 E14 Tuya lights.

I can see that, it is a lot of hasle to get them right. I’m glad you found a good solution though!
I have the Flamiant E27 lights and the GU10 RGWB lights. I only have the ESPHome YAML config for the Flamiant E27, I shared that a few posts back.

When the GU10 works well I can share it with you if you still need it

not an option for me - afaik my light switches are not currently supported by tasmota or esphome - and I dont want to test it and brick them.

That said, the new 5 second delay is a pain

also see Strange delay in triggering tuya outlets in latest .106

Same here Since the last update it take 10-15 seconds to turn on/off Tuya plug in switches. The tuya wall switches i have work fine. If I go to devices and switch them manually they also work fine. Very odd.

I flashed the bulbs to tasmota. I can’t use the RGB lights cause they will start to disfunction but the normal lights work fine for now. It’s not perfect but better the buying 25 new lamps

update!

Lights are now working with ESPHome for anyone who might read this in the future.

Use Roelvideler his sm2315 files, flash to esphome and tada!
For reference, my config file:

esphome:
  name: kantoor2
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp01_1m

sm2135:
  data_pin: GPIO12
  clock_pin: GPIO14

wifi:
  ssid: "fillinyourown"
  password: "filinyourown"

manual_ip: