Tuya or Zigbee installation?

Hi all

First let me say that I’m new on “Smart Homes”. I bought some Tuya/Zigbee devices, Amazon Echo, Ring, IR Remote and start testing.

The tuya app is very “user friendly” and easy to use. Some of the integrations are on Alexa because Tuya don’t link them (ring for example). Two weeks ago I bought a Raspberry PI 4B to start making some tests using Home Assistant. But now I’m on a cross road. And I need the help who already walked these roads :slight_smile:
I have more than 30 Tuya/Zigbee devices in my house. I had reading about the Tuya integration on HA, even still in early Beta days. But don’t know what to do…
Should I integrate Tuya on HA or just do a installation from scratch using Zigbee instead?
Using only Zigbee and not the Tuya integration will I loose anything besides the Tuya app on my mobile phone?
What will be easier to manage?
The HA APP can be “user friendly” and “good looking” as the Tuya APP?
Sorry for these newbie questions… but I prefer this method than start doing a lot of mistakes.
Thanks
VF

Definitely go the Zigbee route. That is totally local, and the HA app can do anything the Tuya App can do.
And you can use Zigbee devices from other vendors too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Will I loose anything?

From my personal experience so far i would say this:

• Ditch the cloud based devices if you cant / want. You will always be dependent on how they feel about accessing your own devices :frowning:
  • Zigbee via a Deconz adapter or a CC2652RB usb stick and zigbee2mqtt works great IF you get the supported devices. zigbee2mqtt.io | 📘 Zigbee2mqtt documentation
    Due to the open protocol there are quite some iffy working zigbee devices. Just ask on the forum or check the list for good working ones.
  • Zwave will be more expensive, but they will have been tested to work and thus more likely to just work out of the box. Like Zigbee that will require an USB stick tho.
  • Wifi devices with ESPHome or Tasmota, you will need an USB UART programmer to flash the Wifi devices so they work without a cloud connection thats forced on you. Or create your own devices with an ESP32/8266 if you feel like it :smiley:

Starting out i would say tinker around with Zigbee devices as there as so many sensors, switches, lights ect. And go from there. There is loads of documentation about everything and i would highly suggest reading them and asking on the forum before buying anything.

1 Like

Most of the Zigbee devices I bough come from Zemismart or Moes. Light switches, PIR sensors, temperature sensors, IR remote and some lights.

There are 2 really good sites on zigbee compatibility.

and

One question on this older topic:
For moes switches which are zigbee2mqtt compatible : Am I able (through HomeAssistant) to change also some settings like … when to light the LED of the switch ? Or … some were advertized tu support doble click or long click, is this supported through HA ?

There are 24 Moes devices listed here Zigbee2MQTT

Which one are you asking about?

1 Like

The Moes/Tuya ZigBee switch/button that have(2 buttons) exposes each button with single/double/hold for each button. I don’t have an option in HA or Z2M for the LED on each of the buttons.

1 Like

Oh … that’s a small list of devices … I purchased and I’m waiting, for testing, one of these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002631613176.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.624e1802A8ChEF
It’s saying that it supports mqtt, I didn’t (yet?) purchased a hub … I just want to test to see if and how it works…

I’m not very sure, but somehow (from the inacurate descriptions, from comments, etc) I understood that LEDs can be also controled (at least through their official hub and tuya app … or something like this)

Ah, OK, so what I have is a battery powered scene switch, so there would for sure be differences there. I’m not sure about a mains powered switch having anything beyond essentially on/off as usually they are connected directly to the light so something like a double-press or hold would be a hard thing to manage I would think. I’m in the U.S. so can’t really use most of those switches as they are for electrical in other countries.

All of the moes switches I can see on z2m only have on/off.

As it is impossible to see what the model number is on that ali advert, it is doubly hard.

Hi, so I managed to edit the settings for the backlight LED using standard ZHA, opened the switch device then clicked the three dots, “Mange Clusters”, the selected the following

under backlight_mode set value to either 0,1 or 2 then hit SET ZIGBEE ATTRIBUTE

• 0 = LED off
  • 1 = LED On when switch On
  • 2 = LED on when switch Off

Hope this is helpful to someone.

Dan

1 Like