Tuya: possible to change wifi credentials to existing (but not locally available) wifi?

Hi everybody,

this is a weird one, but hear me out: is it possible to use the Tuya integration (or some other open tool) to change wifi credentials on a device that works with the tuya HASS integration?

I bought an SOS button with tuya wifi and set it up. It integrates into Home Assistant, so when the button is pushed, I am currently receiving a Signal notification. Great! I will bring this button to my parents house and use my phone and the Tuya app to integrate it to their wifi. So far, so good.

Now we’re considering to buy another one of these buttons for my mother-in-law. She lives across the country, so we cannot just drop by and hand it to her.

I was hoping there would be some way to do this:

1. connect the button to my wifi at home
  2. integrate it in Home Assistant via Tuya App / Integration (linked to my account)
  3. change wifi SSID and password to her (remote) wifi network
  4. mail the button to her
    ==> once she powers it up, it will connect to her wifi, will still be linked to my tuya account, and thus be good to go in Home Assistant

The main problem here is that while I know (or well, would ask her for) her wifi credentials, I don’t know how to tell the device to use them. And I don’t know if would work if I were to “just” create a wifi with her SSID and PW at my house and connect it to that local wifi (with the exact same credentials as hers), then mail her the button - and it would actually connect to her network.

There might be some way to do this via the tuya api, or perhaps I’ll be able to find some python script - perhaps it is not possible at all. BUT perhaps somebody here had already been in this situation and has a solution right there, so I thought I’d give it a shot before trying to go those routes.

Thank you in advance for your ideas :slight_smile:

if it matters, it is this device

Hi.

I’m not sure i fyou got it sorted by now, but in your case I would try to change my own wifi SSID and password to the same as your mother in law has and then pair it, and switch your wifi SSID and password back to your original, alternatively if you don’t want to mess with your own wifi settings use your old wifi router or get a second hand one.

I hope it helps.