Tuya to Tuya Local

I’ve lost all my Tuya Ceiling Fans/Lights? They still show as online in Tuya IoT platform. I decided to play with Tuya Local as an alternative, the local setup only see the fans and not the lights? Are there any tricks to getting the lights seen by HA under Tuya Local ?

Turns out my IoT Core trial expired after one month, I have options to extend no more than 6 months. I thought the basic resource was free?

This is one of the biggest problems with Tuya and why we’re all trying to get all our devices off that platform, or replace them. You get 6 mos and then you have to apply for an extension, which you may or may not get in the future. I also tried Tuya local and gave up after a few days. Too many problems with climate entities becoming unreachable.

1 Like

Thanks Jeff, yeah if there are other smart wall switches that support ceiling fan and light I would be interested in jumping off too. I had no idea this product was going to be this difficult. I only recently built my HA setup, these wall controllers were purchased before knowing I was going to do that :frowning:

https://www.brilliantlighting.com.au/product/smart-wifi-ac-fan-wall-controller-e07a97

I’ve had some success flashing devices OTA w Tasmota but it’s hit or miss. The new versions of Tuya firmware plugged the hole that allowed this to work. I recently ordered a dozen “old” plugs off of eBay, but could only get 1/2 of them to flash. The ones that don’t flash are headed for the garbage bin.

You might want to see if that fan module has a Tywes1 or s3 chip in it. If it does, you can flash those.
https://tasmota.github.io/docs/TuyaMCU-Devices/#costco-charging-essentials
I did this with my wood stove. It was Quite the saga getting it all to work and it even took some enhancements/bug fixes to esphome by one of the devs.

If you’re interested : GitHub - jazzmonger/wood-stove-with-TYWE1S-Tuya-chip

I recently bought some of these on Amazon and they come flashed with esphome. I’m super impressed with them… PLF10 Smart Plug – Kaufman Home Automation and they handle 16amps!

A quick search confirmed my suspicion. Your fan controller has the same basic chip I have in my pellet stove.
Here’s a link that can help you.

Thanks so much Jeff, I’ll take a look through that when I finish work.

It may seem a little daunting at first, but it is actually pretty straightforward. I’d recommend using esphome over Tasmota. It’s like programming in basic vs assembly language. Esphome is just elegant.

Yeah, that looks way above my pay grade. I have a friend that is into electronics so I’ll run it past him. What integration do you use in HA if successful in flashing firmware, still Tuya?

After flashing, you use the ESPHome integration, within that is the Tuya module that interfaces with the device being controlled, and it takes the Tuya cloud completely out of the picture. I explain it all in gory detail in my GitHub. Initially I was completely confused by all this as well, so hopefully this will help you.

1 Like

Thanks Jeff. My friend is going to help me on one of my devices to see if we’re successful. If not I’ll replace that fan altogether with something non Tuya.