Tuya WR2 Swap

So I have a fan controller featuring that ever so annoying WR2 WiFi module which is not ESP based. Based on my research I found some previous threads scattered here and there about this chip and the inability to flash as its non-ESP based.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/need-help-flash-tasmota-ota-to-tuya-plug/139079

After some more research and reviewing the pin assignments it would appear that this module can easily be swapped with a TYWE2S module, an ESP based module. This would allow the installation of Tasmota. I’m going for it. I am trying to acquire a few TYWE2S boards off Ali. If that doesn’t work out I need to either find a device to part one out of, or I am going to have to wire in a more generic ESP module with jumpers. The last concept is less than ideal as form factor is important when you’re trying to fit the device in a fan bezel.

I’ll post the final write up here. Any thoughts on where best to source the TYWE2S modules. I’m thinking getting an order of 10-20 would be wise before the stocks of them dry up as tuya moves away from ESP architecture.

Did you ever try it out?

I tried going down the road of getting the modules, but was having trouble in the midst of all the COVID mess completing the transaction on BABA

Well I dropped one of these modules in, while it does appear to work, I still not sure about the template for tasmota. It would crash (drop wifi, re-flash to recover) after setting the template about 5/10 mins. So either the template or the module. Not sure, further testing this evening. Need to let it run for a bit with a Generic template, then start working on the config.

Anyone else?

forgot to add that this wr2 was installed in a TECKIN SS30 Smart Power Strip WiFi Power Bar