Tv that can be turned on by home assistant locally

Is there a television that can be turned on by home assistant and have a specific source selected by home assistant? (I have a ir blaster but it can only toggle the power on or off, there is no separate command to turn it on only. This leads to accidentally turning it off when I want an automation to turn it on)

I have both LG tv’s with WebOS and Roku tv’s and they all work great with HASS.

Search Integrations for tv to see what else is out there.

Can they be turned on from an off state with home assistant?

Yes. The LG TV use wakeonlan and the Roku TVs use a remote entity.

One of my automations turns all my TVs on and flips them to the security cam input when the alarm is triggered.

1 Like

We have a Samsung UE49K5500. It works nicely with the Samsung TV integration. Exposes one entity with on/off, volume and play/pause

Need to add that it is on wired LAN, and connected with HDMI CEC to a Marantz NR1504, which is also on wired LAN.

Out of curiosity, how do you get all your TVs to view security cams? What input do they change to? Do you have all the TVs wired via hdmi to a splitter throughout the house?

Yup. Every TV location has HDMI cabling that runs to the “server cubby” where the NVR is. I’ve had this setup for over 5 years now and it works great. You could probably do it over the network or WIFI now through casting or something now but I figure if it ain’t broke don’t fix it and all that.

1 Like

What brand TV do you have?

What you are looking for is ‘discrete’ power on/off IR codes

Most TVs have them, but not all.

For example:
Sony IR Power On Hex Code:

0000 0067 0000 000d 0060 0018 0018 0018 0030 0018 0030 0018 0030 0018 0018 0018 0030 0018 0018 0018 0030 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 03f6

Can be converted to base64 here.

Sony IR Power One base64 Code:

AAAAZwAAAA0AYAAYABgAGAAwABgAMAAYADAAGAAYABgAMAAYABgAGAAwABgAGAAYABgAGAAYABgAGAP2

Can be used with the Broadlink integration in the base64 format

I have several Vizio TVs that are homekit-integrated and are able to be power-controlled.

I have mine plugged into smart switches. I can check the current power value and turn it on only if the power is <1

Wait, so you are able to turn them on, but can’t tell if they are on without monitoring the power? I’m confused…

My WebOs tv can’t be turned on directly (it’s an older model but it can be turned off), I need to use a BroadLink to turn it on. I also found that it sometimes comes up in HA as “off” even when it’s on, I use a template to determine if either the TV state is “on” or the smart plug power > 1