Two raspberry?

Hi everyone, I introduce myself, I’m Max.
I’m a neophyte, I have a raspberry pi model 3b + with a sunfounder touch monitor and my question (stupid, I know) is:

can I use my pi as both a home assistant server and as a hardware to display home assistant on the sunfounder monitor?

or should I use two raspberry, one as a server and one to connect to the monitor with raspbian installed?

Thanks, I know, I’m very very very poor …

The first result for neophyte is a hardcore DJ, are you that? :stuck_out_tongue:

Jokes aside, you of course could use one Pi as both the server and the screen! One of the methods to do this, I think, could be that you install the NOOBS package / normal Raspbian. This includes a desktop and internet browser. Then you install Home Assistant and configure everything to your heart’s content. Then just use the browser on the Pi to display your Home Assistant page.

It is important that you do use a GRAPHICAL / DESKTOP INCLUDED OS on your Raspberry as installing the visual stuff afterwards is (if I am correct) a bit of a hassle. You might as well have everything set up from the start.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

No need for two.
I believe Hassbian might be even easier, you get everything ready for home assistant. After setting up just sudo apt install raspberrypi-ui-mods to install the pixel desktop. You will also need to get Chromium or some browser to work on kiosk mode if you plan to just display home assistant.

good luck

1 Like

thanks guys, I start working for:
first understand what you have said :blush:;
then put it into practice :roll_eyes:.

I think of “stupid” questions I’ll do many more …:rofl:

1 Like

Hi everyone, I resume my topic as I switched to the new hassio for raspberry pi3 +.
Really a great job, congratulations to the developers, everything works perfectly!
But I was wondering, how can I install chromium in kiosk mode to continue using my pi both as a server and as a display?
Thanks for your help.

You can’t do that with Hassio… that’s why the suggestion was to use Raspbian.

Thanks, I used raspbian because my pi wasn’t yet supported by hassio.
However I understand, I should buy another pi and use raspbian only for the browser while the other more like HA server with hassio: it’s the cleanest solution, right?
Should I use Chromium with raspbian or suggest another system to display HA in my 10 "touchscreen?

Yes for sure the cleanest solution.
Chromium will be fine.

About 2 years have passed and I ask: are raspbian and chromium still the best solution for a dashboard?
I also tried using android 9 pie with fully kiosk but the rasp pi3 + heats up a lot.
What do you think of it, please?