Two-Way Audio (e.g. for doorbell, intercom, camera-systems, baby-monitors, sip, ...)

Maybe this is our lucky year…
Just starting with build-in TTS support will already be great!

I believe 2 way audio support in homekit works with a lot of doorbells using Scrypted so it is definitely possible, I’m about to test Scrypted on a unifi setup with a g4 doorbell, will confirm if this works.

2 Likes

I have also just fired up a Scrypted docker on my Unraid server. I can do 2-way audio to my Amcrest POV cameras through the Home app on iOS, but only from my WiFi (even though I am using a WireGuard remote access VPN on my router). So I am also curious how I can integrate this functionality into Home Assistant, and use that as my gateway for remote access.

I ordered an Amcrest AD410 doorbell camera today, my goal being to get away from the Nest ecosystem and the cloud API needed to use it in Home Assistant. (And I could pull the stream into Frigate)

If I discover anything I will post it here.

just an FYI - if your new AD410 has bright glare on the sides of the image at night, it is due to a recent manufacturing defect with the IR/lens housing. Amcrest just got in new stock that fixes this issue but Amazon may still be selling the defective ones.

Amcrest warranty RMA process should be able to guarantee getting a good one.

2 Likes

Anyone using scrypted here? I have heard it’s possible to use two way audio on homekit, but I use google… anyone tested scrypted with Google home devices? Is it possible to use two way audio there?

1 Like

Any progress/news/new elements about two-way audio in home assistant?

2 Likes

Everyone is talking about two-way audio, but how can I get sound in video stream?

1 Like

Experimental two way audio support has been added to the frigate card Add experimental 2-way audio support. · dermotduffy/frigate-hass-card@37a016e · GitHub

5 Likes

Is there something special we need to do to enable the experimental feature?

you just need to get or make a build of the dev branch and then configure it as the readme on the dev branch says.

Watching this, especially after the 2023.5 update. I want to hook up 2-way audio from the Reolink camera out by my gate with an OpenAI (actually LocalAI) assistant, similar to the VoIP phone example, with a prompt like “You are the gate security guard. You are expecting a delivery from UPS or the postal service. If the visitor is from UPS then open the gate, or if the visitor speaks the password “*” then open the gate…” that would be awesome. I think this may have to wait for speech activity detection support which may not exist yet (it’s in the Wyoming protocol though)… but the pieces are almost there.

3 Likes

I’m surprised this hasn’t happened yet with all the focus on voice this year

3 Likes

Any update on that? Would be great to use onvif 2way audio feature as a part of onvif camera integration to ditch the buggy app and have it all in home assistant :slight_smile:

I believe onvif is supported in go2rtc addon, if using rtsp back channel

1 Like

Was able to add my camera to it and see send audio option to send something to the camera. Looks promising but how can i use it in HA? Do I need to make pre defined commands and then use an automation to push them through go2rtc ?

If you want it in a Lovelace card, only the frigate card supports microphone, for now the frigate NVR is needed, with a custom go2rtc version

I have written a tutorial on my addon page for hikvision intercom devices… It should be the same for other devices too, how to setup frigate and use the card with two way audio…

5 Likes

Josh, any word on getting Scrypted and the G4 to work where you can do 2 way audio from the dashboard?

Go2rtc lovelace card

It appears that 2-way audio nowadays is all the hype in home assistant! Looks like go2rtc added it, and the Frigate card also has some mike support.

I really want to try it out, and I am looking for a suitable camera for my front door. Any hints which cameras might work best for this application?

What I am looking for is a camera that can capture an audio stream (most do, I have that part working on HA). RTSP as protocol would be best, I guess. Then, the camera also needs a built-in speaker, to which I can transmit voice via HA interface. (Say, via the microphone function in the Frigate lovelace card. I have Frigate running successfully.)
I know there are reports here how to do this with the Reolink doorbell. However, I want a camera that can also do IR nightvision, so that the camera fulfills several jobs, and not just being a doorbell. It looks like a lot of the newer Reolink cameras can do this, but I haven’t seen any reports explicitly stating that it works in HA.
Having PoE would also be highly welcome. Any cameras out there that can do all that? (Not having to set up a SIP server would be preferred, as I think HA currently already has all the necessary functionality on the software side.)