Two-Way Audio (e.g. for doorbell, intercom, camera-systems, baby-monitors, sip, ...)

there are many of dahua / amcrest cameras that have a speaker and support this

1 Like

thanks so much, for your very speedy response!

I have seen that there are cameras out there with speakers. Do you happen to know if they use all the same or a similar protocol to receive audio? Can it be made to work with Home Assistant for most or all of these cameras?

Getting some examples for cameras for which this has actually been accomplished would be great. Does anyone have experience?

You want to find a camera that supports onvif profile T and audio via rtsp back channel. Most amcrest / dahua cameras with speakers support this

2 Likes

Wow, thank you so much!

Hi Fabio,

I’m in the process of revamping my cameras at home. I’m thinking of buying unifi G4 or G5 cameras and doorbell G4 pro. Do you think your procedures will work ?

BR,
Jens

Just found this, searching for an answer why my G3 camer is not supporting to talk (via Home Assisstant / Apple Home App).

Just to be clear: So you say that even though there is a button for talking in the HomeKit (connected via HomeKit Bridge), Home Assistant is not able to provide two way audio (yet)?

Hi Olaf,

Based on what you have written, it looks like you have experience with the unifi integration in homekit (via hoobs or homebridge). Is this instant footage or some delay ?

BR,
Jens

Yeah, probably, have a look the go2rtc pages, there is a supported list of cameras

I have integrated Unifi protect and then added the camera to HomeKit via the bridge in HA. However I do not have a separate HomeKit pod (or steering central or so).
It has nearly no lag when taking the low quality footage.

i have a simple question: now It’s possible currently integrate a door video intercom on HA and have 2way audio and 1way videofeed “easily”.
Which intercom can you suggest to do that?

I still prefer using SIP, there is a Asterisk addon and a Lovelace SIP card too

sip supports also video ?

Sure, also with the SIP card you can use a camera entity it it shouldn’t be processed with sip, but asterisk is compatible with all video codecs

Also, with two way audio you are bounded to HA, but SIP softphones are better for push method…

But it’s your choice :slight_smile:

i used only many years ago, so I did not remember…
i see there is an asterisk integration

TECH7Fox / asterisk-hass-addons Public

do you know? It is KISS? works smoothly?

what hardware videointercom can you suggest?
i wanna replace a crappy dumb intercom, because my GF is mobolity impaired, so We need to see the AV I/O of the intercom on smart device (nest hub, amazon echo video ) and smartphones so open the external and internal doors using them (smartphones primarily) via HA.
the doors are operated with a simple sonoff zbimini dry contact integrated on the smarthome home assistant powered… thank

Yeah, that’s the integration, asterisk is very stable … as for intercom, if you want something nice, look for doorbird… Otherwise maybe Dahua/hikvision

doorbird it’s soooo pricy :hushed: We are seeing for reolink , dahua or hikvision because they are mid/midlow priced

As partial OT, can you suggest a rfid+keypad HA integrable to open the doors with no physical key? Perhaps produced by one of these brands, If I’m not taking you advantage too much :slight_smile:

I have the ds-kd8003 Hikvision, with badge/key works quite well, i have written also an Hikvision addon for integration in HA

sorry, are you on the italian HA facebook group? I think you have answered a post of my gf… LOL

Hmm, no I don’t use the HA Facebook group :+)