Two-way audio / intercom with front door

Hey guys, any idea on how to have a two-way-audio-communication with the front door CLOUDLESS, i.e. no Doorbird and so on?!

Cannot find anything :frowning:

SIP

There are a few Poe doorbells that wok with sip

I’m using the Grandstream gds3710. Takes some effort to get it working in Hassio.

Can you share more @tmjpugh or @Mark53 about what your experience is in Home Assistant going this SIP route? What device rings inside your house, do you have the ability to have a two way conversation, or unlock your gate/door via the keypad on the gds3710 (@Mark53)… or buzz people in with a lock as part of the same interaction with someone outside? I like the look of the Grandstream and reviews are pretty solid.

Gave up on sip
Didn’t want to maintain sip server just for the single use

I now considering prerecorded messages.
I only needed the ability to ask who is it and maybe say please call me but I did not needed to have full conversations. My current plan is to use the built-in AV stream from my camera and just have some pre-recorded audio that I can output from speaker whenever necessary

Ah, ok. I’m trying to figure out how to have an intercom from a gate… I think I’ll have to get the base station two and just look for a way to know someone’s pressed the call button. :confused:

I have an axis a8004.
This has sip capability and doorbell button

Sip was OK idea honestly since cell phone has sip capability soon had ability to ring phones from button press and initiate call. Ultimately however, sip management is complicated and was more than I wanted to manage. Networking and servers I’ve done for years and can easily do at this point. SIP is new skill I not want to learn and found no easy drop in solution.

I have same issue with gate. I realize however that 95% doorbell press are people I know looking to enter. I don’t need to talk, just open gate in this case

2% people I know looking to enter but I not home. I can initiate message from speaker, “I not home, call me”

1% i don’t know
I can initiate message from speaker, “hello, how may i help you” and here respond in normal video stream from camera. After that it’s just open gate or another message of “no thank you goodbye” , “no thank you , but please leave your number in mailbox” or even “give me a call at xxxxxxxx”

I had ring previously and never use 2way com but camera and motion detection was indispensable. I learned that I prefer notify and image snapshot on motion rather than wait for doorbell press since Amazon porch pirate that steal my package not ring bell but I catch the motion and record and get plate#

This is residence. I think business requires 2way.
I am still considering solution. I actually need weld mount for doorbell and currently use camera+image detection+Beam detection(I may change to coil detection) so I have no audio either way now

Thanks… yeah, doesn’t seem like there’s a good solve for this where it’s highly integrated and the integration includes the two-way communication. I’ve been looking at these as options in case you or anyone else an opinion on them:

I replaced a old video intercom, that had a small screen. So I needed a fully functioning Video intercom, that opened the door. I also only wanted one panel on the wall that could control Hassio and the intercom. My setup does all this with good two way audio. I am using the GDS3710 with a PI freepbx server as well and a Firehd8 tablet wall mounted. This Webrtc addin has made a huge difference to video lag that was really annoying. The system is not perfect, I am still having time when the Firehd delays by 40 seconds to show the Video. I can open the front door and gate from the table. Please let me know if you have more questions.

That is interesting @Mark53 … I have some time as my house is at the point where the drywall is being finished in the next ~1-2 weeks. I think I’ve got all the wires run that I need (fingers crossed). I plan on having a more powerful server than a Pi and I suppose I could run a PBX server. I had not heard about WebRTC… it’s amazing, if you look hard enough it seems almost anything is possible. I would love to learn as much about your setup as possible if you’re willing to share.

@PostHumanGod More than happy to help. Please note that I only copied other peoples projects and are not the brains behind this one. The real brains and the people that helped me the most are @wmaker with the Vivint protect, easy to install and provide the 2 way audio, also @rdehuyss who really started the project and made SIP 2 way audio possible in HASSIO and finally @greengolfer who made is all work with the GDS3710.
My system uses a Raspberry pi3 running FreePBX setup as per @greengolfer, a card in HA as per doorvivint with the camera removed and the WebRTC card as per @AlexxIT . This is not a simple project, but it a great one. I am happy to give you any of my code, which has been copied from the people above, with some very minor changes. Please let me know what questions you have

1 Like

Hi everyone. I have a GDS3710 (which is just awesome), which controls a gate. I have it hooked to a grandstream PBX, with some house phones attached to that.

I use a script for homeseer ( https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/lighting-primary-technology-plug-ins/lighting-primary-technology-discussion/big5-risquare/1390043-integrate-grandstream-gds3710-video-doorbell?p=1419674#post1419674 ) to open and close the gate from automation control.

Is there a way to do this in Home assistant without having to set up SIP etc…? It would be nice to be able to have a video call come in to HA and display on a bunch of google hubs I have through the house, and be able to open the gate from there, but right now I can do that from my phones, so that is a nice to have, not a must have.

We like to use voice control to keep the gate open if we are having a party, etc… This is a key WAF win for automation, so if we move to HA I’d need that to work well.

I also have the GDS3710 all running through Home Assistant. I do not know how to get two way audio with SIP, you can have one way audio using WEBRTC. My gates are controlled through ESP. I use websockets to communicate with the GDS3710 and nodered.

Mark53, is there a writeup on how to get that to work? Why did you need to use Node-red as opposed to core HA?

Sorry if this is obvious, but I am an HA newbie.

browsing web I found this neat project Smart Doorbell for HomeAssistant : 4 Steps - Instructables

1 Like

Guys, you already find a way to have 2way audio in the app? (without sip) ?
would be great, also latest beta android companion app, allows now speaker and microphone

Following any progress here. Would love to find a way for 2-way audio in HA without SIP…

1 Like

havent tried below but it looks promising. my issue is setting up SIP Server is pain. I just want a simple docker install thing and a config file but SIP not seem that simple.

yes, i’m following that project since beginnng, verry nice progress, and lots of discussions on github

really nice job, to have asteriks as an addon
next week, ingress will be supported as well, so the sip lovelace card, can connect with ingress method, so no need to open ports in firewall

verry promsing, the devs are really active, best sip project around!

it has 3 projects

asterisk as an addon
sip card to connect to asterisk addon or another freepbx system
integration => not needed, but it creates entities for call status

2 Likes

It would be awesome to have an official two-way audio support. I started a feature request. Please vote for it: Two-Way Audio (e.g. for doorbell, intercom, camera-systems, baby-monitors, sip, …) - Feature Requests - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

4 Likes